1:04 p.m. on November 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hi everyone, I'm new in this forum as well as a new hiker. My friend and I are going to a recreation area the next day that has many tracks and water drops. All together it's about a 3 time increase. What should we take with us?

1:42 p.m. on November 3, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
488 reviewer rep
1,087 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace addison65!

Forgive me - but I'm having a hard time with some of your lingo. Are "tracks" trails? And what do you mean by, "All together it's about a 3 time increase?"

Generally, the more detail you can provide about what you're doing (how long? how far? in what weather? goals?), the better our incredibly knowledgeable members can do to share their experience and knowledge.

1:52 p.m. on November 3, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey addison65, welcome to Trailspace. I hope you find the site not only informative but also fun. 

Okay, in regards to you question...

First and foremost where specifically are you going? There are many folks on here that will be more than willing to help ya out but "a recreation area" is somewhat vague. 

Next question I have is what are your trip objectives?

Are you hunkering down in one spot or are you covering ground setting up camp in multiple locations over the course of multiple days?

Another question I have is what gear do you currently have. 

Those are some of the questions I have off the top of my head.

The more specifics we have the better dialed in answers we can provide.

Happy hiking-Rick

5:58 p.m. on November 3, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

welcome

5:52 p.m. on November 5, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

this is my daypack list, ymmv...:P

pack, camelback fourteener

water bladder, 3L

headlight, princeton tech

firestarter, trioxane

matches, waterproof

travel toilet paper

trowel, plastic

ziplocs

rain jacket, nylon

down vest

compass, suunto

map, topographic

FIRST AID

band aids, 3

duct tape, 5 ft

forceps, mini

suture, dermalon

WORN

long brimmed hat

glasses

gps, garmin etrex

camera, digital

underwear, cotton

long sleeve shirt, polypro

cargo pants, nylon

socks, wool

boots, lowa renegade

CONSUMABLES

water 3L

sandwiches, 3

5:56 p.m. on November 5, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

my guess is your not a native english speaker. hope my list gave you something to think about.

12:55 p.m. on November 6, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

WELCOME!! I would ditch the cotton undies... I would check out the Exofficio men's boxers, or the boxer briefs, there worth there weight in gold! They dry crazy fast, and don't smell like a strippers panties in a zip loc bag left in your glovebox for a week after you hike in them for a day or 3 ha ha But the best way to really figure out what you need, is to do some small hikes with someone whom has hiked a bit and shake down your gear. A suture kit could prove useful, but the duct tape always wins ha ha! Look in your pack and see what was in your way, or just simply didn't leave your pack after a few trips and ask yourself , do I really need the bear grylls axe... And always leave room for some summit beers!

Have fun and SEE YA ON THE TRAIL!

4:09 p.m. on November 6, 2012 (EST)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Beer is heavy and affects your physical and mental abilities. Save it for afterwards.

Trailjester's list isn't a bad place to start.

9:07 p.m. on November 6, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

That means you carry too much beer! And always remember kids PACK IT OUT...

2:02 a.m. on November 7, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
589 forum posts

Beer - makes easy climbs difficult and difficult climbs impossible

12:08 a.m. on November 8, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

High five Rob5073!!!

8:08 p.m. on November 8, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I guess my cotton undies need to be updated, that list is old. but I just don't like nylon bras!

8:02 a.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Timmber apparently doesn't understand the benefits of cotton underwear for women. With synthetic insulating layers, I don't think that's a real problem anyway.

12:31 p.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Yeah I try to keep my undies from the men's department.. But you can hike in whatever kind of men's or women's undies you want, I'm not here to judge. But I could see a nice French cut number being pretty comfy on the trail.

6:38 p.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

yeah I got my expedition weight polypro long undies if I need em...I try to stay away from the french cut crap. too pricey. I just go with cotton sportsbras and cotton hipsters. works for me...I don't think ex officio makes womens underwear, do they?

11:44 a.m. on November 10, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Yup, I know a few women that swear by them, on and off the trail exofficio.com/products/womens/underwear They say there worth there weight in gold!

6:53 p.m. on November 10, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

yeah but I can't see paying 25 for just one bra. I can go to wall mart and get three fruit of the loom sports bras for 16 bucks. besides that, most of the ex officio bras are nylon/spandex - I hate nylon bras - spandex is almost as bad. I guess I'm sticking with my fruit of the looms...

7:38 a.m. on November 30, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hmmm...........

7:39 a.m. on November 30, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

addison65 said:

Hmmm...........

7:23 p.m. on November 30, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

This is fun. I think I understand what's going on.

Take all but the yellow. Fire hydrants have been going. It is the better having gone to the. If for, then yes?

6:04 a.m. on January 16, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi! I'm a new here, too! My name is Sarah. Nice to meet you and I want to introduce myself, before exploring this forum better.

1:31 p.m. on January 16, 2013 (EST)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Hello, Sarah, and welcome.

If you're looking for specific advice, you can post a new thread or search through the existing ones. 

And feel free to ask - that's what this forum is all about, and there's no such thing as a dumb question. 

6:35 p.m. on January 17, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

High five sarah85!!!

6:52 p.m. on January 17, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Uhhh? Vince, you kinda lost me. Maybe I missed something. Great to see new members, espescially women, you ladies are always in the minority here. Always nice to hear the venus point of view. Im not trying to be smart, you guys just look at things a little diffrent than men. A fresh perspective is always helpful.

11:22 p.m. on February 5, 2013 (EST)
193 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Hey addison65,

I'm new to the site myself. I've been backpacking for years though. But it seems like everyone is slinging you some good advice. I agree with the others though man, I'm not really sure about the lingo your using.

But, it does really depend on where and what kinda terrain you plan on hitting. You also gotta take into consideration about the weather. If your dealing with the cold this time of year, then you'll need warmer items. But, if your anywhere in the southern US like me. A light jacket will do. You'll have to think how long you plan on being out. There are a lot of things to consider when packing your gear.

Really, you just look at some basic factors. Length of trip/ Area your traveling/ Weather for the time period you'll be gone/ If you will or will not have a viable water source while there/ If you plan to fish or hunt for food/

Look at those basics, and go from there. Thats what I do. But, since you are new to the whole thing... ALWAYS let a few people back home know where you will be, how long you will be gone, and a time frame you plan to be back.

Aside from that here are some of the items that I always have regardless of anything. The gear is personal choice, but do have your basics.

My pack / a good fix blade knife / 3L water res / 50ft of 550 cord (5ft extra on my boots, 20ft on my knife sheath, and the rest in the pack) / Toilet Paper (you forget it only once) 5ft duct tape wrapped on a pencil / some high protein high carb food (bars, packs of spam, etc) / basic fishing kit in a small medicine bottle / fire striker attached to my sheath / iodine drops for water purification / good quality tarp / sleeping bag / matches in waterproof bottle / good compass / multi tool / homemade first aid kit / bug spray / extra socks and underware / mini maglite / headlamp / bandana / canteen (one you can boil water in) 8oz flask of Jameson (beer does weigh too much) for the evening by the fire

Once you have a few trips under your belt... you'll see what you need and what you don't. I myself like to take multi use gear. Other than items for fire and water, if I cant use it for 2 or more things... I dont take it.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply