condensation and tent fabric

1:21 a.m. on January 2, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I am coming to this site for advice, hope someone can help.  I am actually looking for fabric that will keep condensation in, and not leak out to the outside.  I have seen some reference to a tent being "doubled"? Not sure what that means.  Any ideas?  Thank you in advance

5:44 a.m. on January 2, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

Hrm? You WANT to keep it in? That's easy to do, get a single wall tent with little to no ventillation, or get a silnylon tarp and rig flush to the ground and close off the ends as well. There are many fabrics that will keep it in. If it keeps it out chances are you will keep t in as well. Ventillation is the key factor in keeping it or not.

6:14 a.m. on January 2, 2013 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have to ask... Why do you want to keep it in?

8:43 a.m. on January 2, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

I'm confused as well, keeping condensation in is a bad idea. Unless you are referring to a vapor barrier? Rambler is right, anything silnylon done up too tight.

12:06 p.m. on January 2, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

Single wall tents don't breathe.  Double wall tents breathe but the canopy doesn't.  Canvas breathes well also.

1:47 p.m. on January 2, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Wow thank you so much for the quick response guys! I know it is a weird questions, but it is not for camping. Trying to find a way to come up with a homemade treatment  for an  invalid family member with frequent bouts of pneumonia, who cannot care for himself.  Have an idea for a 'steamer", but didn't know enough about this kind of fabric to proceed from here. Y'all reallyl helped me out - Thank you

1:50 p.m. on January 2, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

sorry for all the typos, - too excited and typing too fast!  Y'all are really nice to help

2:49 p.m. on January 2, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

That casts a whole different light on the question. Pneumonia, especially frequently recurring, is something that needs looking into by a trained medical person who specializes in lung problems, not a home-made treatment. It can be caused by a number of things, which requires going after the cause, not the symptoms. I'm not an MD, but I would not take chances on something like this.

4:00 p.m. on January 2, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

second that motion. get them to a doctor. what you want to do may actually make it worse.

5:22 p.m. on January 2, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

thanks! don't worry, he's definately under a doctors care. 

Had no idea there were so many different fabrics out there. Everyone seems to be very knowledgeable.  I will let y'all know if there is success.

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply