About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Mid-Layer - Marmot Power Stretch Hoody

11:52 p.m. on February 11, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi,

I'm new here and hope this is the right place to ask.

I'll be traveling to Europe in mid to late April and am planning to buy a 200 wt fleece or something equivalent as a mid layer. I have a waterproof and windproof soft shell and plan to wear that over the mid layer.

I was recommended the Marmot Furnace Hoody by a local outdoor gear shop and read that it is a 200 wt fleece. I went to Marmot website and saw the Power Stretch Hoody. Does anyone know if that is equivalent to the Furnace?

Wanted to email Marmot, but I can't find their email anywhere on their website. Does anyone knows?

Or if you have other recommendations, please let me know. Thanks!

4:10 a.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
42 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Layers: a thin micro-fleece over a merino long sleeve would be better, IMO.

MHW have the Desna in powerstretch, which is very good, but it has a hood and is a bit longer than current fashions. Fit is everything, so try before you buy.

As you are carrying a windproof, why not try an open-weave fleece like the R2, or its gridded/waffled iteration?

If you are going to be wearing it in the street, then get something that will not make you look like a Power Ranger (there's a time and a place for that). Fleece is available at low prices when it comes to just a zip neck top for throwing on when it is chilly and it lasts almost as long as the sports brands.

11:14 a.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be looking around (not only the sports brands), but was just wondering about the powerstretch.

I'll check if my local stores carry the R2 or anything similar. I'll prefer to be able to try something on before purchasing. International returns etc will be too troublesome.

12:37 p.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
42 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Powerstretch is interesting, in that it is one of the most hardwearing types of fleece and is relatively windproof. It now has some kind of teflon spotted coating, so should last a lot longer than brands would want it to, if you see what I mean. It also has a rougher texture though, and drapes different and is heavier (the last thing matters to a lot of outdoor people). But most garments in it are close-fitting, so it is important to test for fit.

I find it too restrictive for layering over heavier merino and my arse looks big in it.

A good brand, Patagonia or MHW or Marmot, will let you return it if it is faulty, no matter where you end up. Europe stretches from Iceland to Greece, maybe Turkey.

5:01 p.m. on February 12, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

I would opt for two thinner layers than one thick layer. more versatility, better temp control. marmot makes a mean fleece line.

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply