Questions about haul sack packs

9:32 p.m. on March 8, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Recently i bought a used Gregory Forester pack. This is what I call a haul sack. It has 2 mesh pockets by the waist belt, and that's it for pockets.

The top cover comes off, and it has a large top pouch pretty standard on all internal frame packs.

Then there is the sack which has a top double zipper and lower section that has a gear hammock you can remove, and another lower set of dual zippers.

I am more used to packs that have 2 or 4 external pockets for fuel and stove, items i might now want in with the rest of my gear.

It isn't difficult to toss way too much gear in this haul sack, but it bugs me fuel and stoves might leak, or water might leak inside this pack and I might not know it did, and ending up in a far place with less than useless gear isn't an idea I like a lot.

Anyone who has experience will haul sack packs might let me in how they deal with things like fuel and water inside the main pack body.

I have had stove filler cap seals leak a few times in the past. It doesn't happen much but it happens.

10:39 p.m. on March 8, 2013 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I don't carry fuel in any stove while in transport.  WG stoves with integral tanks are emptied, while canister stoves are uncoupled.  I carry WG in one of this alloy flasks that could pass as water bottles, or the larger tin bulk cans when on longer treks.  And it is my experience if a canister does leaks it does so immediately after uncoupling.  I don't put leaky canisters in my pack until they stop of bleed out.  And annual replacement of the sealing gasket on WG fuel flasks has precluded any mishaps over the prior 50 years of camping in just about any condition imaginable.  Just make sure the cap is on tight.

Ed 

11:23 p.m. on March 8, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

No canisters here 2 Svea's 1 Svea 123 R and a MSR Whisper Light. I use the same type fuel bottle, but never put water in a bottle like that, even though they are sold as water bottles.

Of course i don't leave the msr stove plugged into a bottle either, but i don't drain the Svea's, never have but they on rare occasions have leaked.

I have had the alloy bottles leak only on rare occasions, but always in a exterior pocket on a pack.

Having these in with every thing else I would eat, wear and sleep with has become a concern.

As to water I use only nalgene wide mouth bottles and have since before they came with trapped lids. I really like the trapped lids idea since you can dip water from a mt spring at -40 below 0 and never get a mitt wet.

However i carry these bottles upside down so ice form in the bottom, up end and the cap threads don't freeze solid like a rock.

if that leaked (never has yet) but there is that terrible IF because it os in with the rest of my gear I was just wanting to know.

Some things just nag at me. I was wondering if there was any order to haul sacks.

1:23 a.m. on March 9, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I have a couple of packs like that. I generally pack my gear into stuff sacks or dry bags. Dry bags work both ways, they wont leak whats inside out either. If your worried about your stove leakin, put it in a small dry bag. Having everything in diff colored bags will keep you from doing as much digging too. Choose light color bags if you can, its easier to see them in the bottom of the pack that way. Do you like the gregory pack? They are my fav, with my baltoro being my go to pack.

7:21 p.m. on March 9, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I almost bought a forester back in the day. settled on a kelty west coast, liked the pockets and the suspension. put your stove and water in dry bags, like hotdog says. better for organizing too.

12:58 a.m. on March 10, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Yeah I will go with dry bags. I will need a few new ones as mine are old and no longer dry. I hear ya on light brighter colors too. I had a black pack once a Colman Peak II with the plastic frame. I thought that would be a improvement over the Coleman Peak I pack in gold and it's plastic frame.

IMO the Peak I was a far better frame at least. I liked that when it flexed it carried the load live.......

I went to Champney Falls NH winter     , today. You can see it on google 

see the ice climber pics....... That isn't use but it is the same place.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Champney+Falls+NH+winter&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=jx48UfKYLaXv0QG1t4CgBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=787

The forester looks new but it was in IME consignment shop. The fit is flawless.... I throw that on and go. I think i would have preferred the baltoro for the way you can set things up under organization, but the forester is still very nice. This one is lighter green and light enters thru the material.

Playing somewhere on Sunday too, but i don't know where yet. Might just grab the Kelty Vortex II and the new tarp, and toss them in a ice fishing sled with the packs and head to the pine barrens. No driving required.

I started making snow stakes of nylon when i got in. I don't know the real  name, but all it is, is a square of cloth with lace like ties that you stick in snow and stomp on to replace dirt stakes when there is a foot of snow or better and i got that foot of snow here easy.

(8) 30 inch pieces of 550 cord to go and these 4 snow will be done.

The 30 inches ends up about 15 inches over all as a loop is pulled in the center and each bitter end is just tied in a hole made with a red hot nail in the nylon cloth. That cloth is a old beat up gaitor... That was large enough to make all 4.

8:46 p.m. on March 10, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

you'll have fun when those puppies get frozen in! that happened to me once, took half an hour to get the stupid things out.

10:05 p.m. on March 10, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

That's what ice axes are for. Cut the cords and run......  ;-)

They should be nicely frozen in by morning. I didn't have the get up and go today i was hoping for and a few other things came up, but I did squeak in about 30 minutes to get out in the pine barrens and set the new kelty tarp up.

It's still there and will be for several days. That's the plan anyway. I wanted to set up the Kelty Vortex II next to it so people could see the new cool gray compared to the old.

The Vortex needs no stakes to just set it up and pegs will hold the vestibules out well enough for a pic shoot.

Besides the tarp only needs 3 'snow stakes' What the heck do you call these things anyway?

The 12 x 12 is 17' 2" on the diagonal and so i cut some 550 cord 30 feet long to assist the tarp. 

I tied off the top corner, and ran the cord around a pine tree several feet in front, then pulled the rear corner of the tarp carrying the cord and looped a 'Snow Stake on that rear tarp too.

With a snow show i dug the first 'Snow Stake' hole and buried it then pulled the cord taught and made a birds head around the 'Snow Stake cords.

This action left the cord above the tarp but not for long. I just pulled the tarp threw and up and over that cord and pulled it out to the side and forwards..... Kicked a hole in the snow this time and buried number 2.

Went around and set in the last red snow stake.. These are made if junk, so if I wreck one i won't care. took about 20 minutes to cut up a old red gaiter and burn holes in the 4 pieces with a red hot nail, then last add 550 cord @ 30" tied 2 times ti the red cloth... I never did tie a loop in the centers.

I will work up a real report with pics as best i can. I am a story teller not a reviewer so it remains to be seen as to if the report will be of any use.

Besides the How To the pics may show, I wanted to show the light so people could know they won't look DEAD like blue tents do! Ugg.....

I just hope wild turkey don't like Diamond Set tarp tents.

9:15 p.m. on March 11, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

back where we come from we call them...snow stakes.

10:06 p.m. on March 11, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

In beginner room under tarp thread i did a mini report with some pics. In my profile is more pics.. The snow stakes are there too.

I checked one today kicking it free..... Wet snow was +12 last night... The snow is about knee deep to me the snow stake is maybe 6 inches down.

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply