backpacking sleep and back issue inflatable wedges or best pillow advice

6:19 p.m. on April 8, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
44 forum posts

After doing several day trails, tested out some sleeping issues for my back and would like some gear advice. No back issues from 10 miles or more carrying gear..(the right pack made a huge difference) however I sleep angled at night to avoid some back issues and have been looking for an inflatabable wedge or very good lightweight pillow that will help.not sure i trust the inflatable wedges on Amazon as i usually like the rei store online.thank you in advance :)

6:24 p.m. on April 8, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
44 forum posts

Also i cannot seem to get my profile to update and have a photo if you would like to share that as well :)

6:29 p.m. on April 8, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
44 forum posts

Got one of em.not my favorite pic, it was getting dark but at least theres one for now.Going to try and get a few of my trail pics from lately on here now

6:31 p.m. on April 8, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

I use my sleeping bag stuff sack with clothing as a pillow.

7:20 p.m. on April 8, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
44 forum posts

I have tried the clothing thing but cant seem to get a good angle or firmness.maybe that with a good air pillow or try the inflatable wedge

8:00 p.m. on April 8, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

I like the Thermarest pillows...there are lighter options but I haven't found anything that seems as much like a real pillow. Packs down pretty small, not really that heavy. Never could manage the inflatables, myself. And usually not enough extra clothes with me to make a sensible pillow out of (side-sleeper, I like thick pillows).

When you say you 'sleep angled' do you mean semi-sitting, in a reclining position? A chair kit like the Thermarest has straps to let you set the angle of the chairback, so that might work. You just slip a sleeping pad into the pockets:

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/seating/trek-and-travel-seating/trekker-chair-kit/product

Best of luck, a decent sleep makes a good hike great!

8:03 p.m. on April 8, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I'd say go with the air pillow there are a lot of good air mattresses out there but I don't think they are what you are looking for.

10:04 a.m. on April 9, 2013 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

I took an old regular Down pillow and removed some of the down, trimmed the casing to match and made my "camping pillow". When I do canoe trips, I stuff my normal pillow into a small stuff sack & have all the comfort I could want.

Having suffered immense back & neck problems most of my life, I can tell you, forget all the gadgets & accessories, learn to stretch effectively and do it every day.

10:14 a.m. on April 9, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

Jersey,

Good advice.  I have back and neck problems from horse and mule wrecks.

I like a down jacket in a stuff sack for a low pillow.  A lifejacket with the down jacket is even more comfortable.

12:04 p.m. on April 9, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

I have also used my Camelbak bladder blown up with air, even with water inside, it still blows up comfortably. (They also make a good fire extinguisher,holding the bladder under an arm and pointing the mouth piece at the fire, I use it to douse the hot coals in the morning when breaking camp)

10:26 p.m. on April 10, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
44 forum posts

thank you for all the things to try. going to test some of them out the next few nights before my little local trip end of april :)

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply