Coleman 530 stove

10:03 p.m. on May 8, 2013 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

I recently purchased a model 530 GI stove off of E-Bay.Probably the best stove i own.I recently used it on a 4 day camping trip in PA.Does anyone else use this stove? It starts immediately,burns nice and fast!

2:51 p.m. on May 9, 2013 (EDT)
1,367 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Cool! That's the civilian version of the WWII Coleman 520, advertised as the 'GI Pocket Stove'. 

Theoretically, it runs on just about any fuel (preferably white gas) and it's pretty tough since the burner is contained within the cooking pot. I'd be cautious about running something like gasoline in it. A leak could be catastrophic! Using kerosene, it takes about 8 minutes to boil a quart of water. Comes with a cup and pot.

Problems are size and weight; the early 520 with a steel container ran to about 1600 gms (3.5 lbs), and with the later aluminum container still came in at 1110 gms (2.4 lbs) without fuel. 

Compare that to the new versions, whose weight is measured in ounces, and whose boil times are closer to 4 minutes. 

Certainly one of those old reliable standards against which other stoves were measured, though. Neat to have found one - a real collectible.

8:08 p.m. on May 9, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

great find! those old coleman stoves are workhorses, even if they do weigh a ton. just be sure to check it for leaks. I don't know where you would get parts for it though.

8:58 p.m. on May 9, 2013 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Well i found a guy on E-Bay who says he was a Coleman authorized repair person for years.He has sold me some parts for it, and i worked in an outdoor store in NJ and took some repair classes so i do the work myself.The weight is not really an issue,the only thing is once the fuel is done, the stove shuts off without any signs.Burns until the fuel is used up.I actually bought 2  stoves,the other stove needs some work though. But what a lot of fun and definitely got some looks when it was in use.

10:05 p.m. on May 9, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

I've got both the 520 and 530.  Loud little things.  The 530 doesn't simmer well, I'm sure not designed to do that, I have not tried lower pressure.  I do have a BD mini cap that would work on them, I just don't care to mess the stock burner plate up trying to fit the silent cap.  Parts for these are all over, pump cups to cap washers.  Check out the Coleman Collectors Forum for advise and the owner has Old Coleman parts stove, accessed by a link at CCF.

So many stoves, so little time.

Duane

5:37 a.m. on May 10, 2013 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Thanks for the tip.Yes these stoves do not simmer really-full blast right from the get go!

9:55 p.m. on May 11, 2013 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Found the Coleman Collectors forum and they have a ton of advice.I also own a MSR Whisperlite International 600 and a MSR Dragonfly stove-all great stoves.I also use a Coleman 2 burner dual fuel stove.

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply