McAfee Knob VA- Closest place to to camp/car camp?

8:08 p.m. on May 27, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Would like to the 8+ mile hike to McAfee Knob- driving from PA- want to spend 2 nights somewhere/near there- then going to the shore for a week!! Where is a good place to camp?

8:30 p.m. on May 27, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

If you want to camp there's a shelter one mile into the trail. It's for hikers but you could pitch a tent like most thru hikers and its only 3 miles from the top..Just follow the trail north and you will hit it..

1:47 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,022 forum posts

I agree with Denis.  You can park at the rd. crossing there and hike about a mile south to the shelter.  Make sure to hit the Home Place to eat while you're in the area - AYCE southern food!

4:40 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Thanks guys- Will it be OK to park my car there overnight? VA311 parking area? Is there any car camping near there? ALSO as I was researching McAfee Knob- there was a norovirus alert on the AT/not sure which sight I saw it on/. Any knowledge of this.

5:52 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

No direct knowledge of McAfee knob but I first saw the norovirus alert last year for Tn and NC. Be sure to treat or filter your water with a method that can handle viruses, practice good hygiene concerning your hands/mouth and you should be OK.

Norovirus can be spread from surface contact after airsolization; an infected person can cough on a surface, you touch it, then touch your food or mouth and pick it up.

For this reason I try to avoid shelters or limit my surface contact in them. I have had norovirus in the past and its nasty; I’m not a germphobe but if you ever get the virus you will understand my disposition.

8:58 a.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,022 forum posts

No one can guarantee the safety of your car at AT road crossings!  However, if you hide all valuables, you should be OK.  Filtering does not remove norovirus.  A halogen treatment (chlorine or iodine), or boiling will do that.

9:46 a.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

I haven't heard of anyone having problems with their car being parked there overnight, That would have gotten around the area quick.. Like Seth said hide all valuables..

10:17 a.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

Seth,

Is norovirus a very small one? Most of the information on small pore filters describes them as removing "some" viruses.

rlMoore,

Here is the excellent series that Bill wrote on the topic.

http://www.trailspace.com/articles/backcountry-water-treatment-part-1-hydration.html

10:26 a.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

Never mind Seth.....norovirus is between 27-33 nm,

the small side of the range is .027 microns, the pore size on my MSR mini works filter is .2 microns. So a virus that small would just pass on though with a wave and smile at the filter.

5:20 p.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

just boil it. it's faster than waiting for the treatments to work. be sure to bring extra stove fuel.

10:03 p.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Seth= so what's the 'Home Place"?

12:02 a.m. on May 30, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

It's an all you can eat Resturant not far from the trail and the Knob....You can drive to it from the parking area...

9:01 p.m. on June 1, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! I DID IT!!!! I thought it was pretty hard! Pictures soon- Thanks everybody. Saw all the things you suggested-GREAT COMMUNITY- TBC-PEACE-RANDY. I am watching the Atlantic Ocean as I type-MOUNTAINS/OCEAN 24hrs later!!!!!!!!!

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply