Heel blisters...

2:33 p.m. on June 10, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I have narrow and low volume feet so I researched which boots are appropriate and found one that feels like it fits like a glove, the Asolo Fugitive GTX. They feel perfect on flat ground and I dont slid forward in them downhill, going uphill they seem to rub just above my heel. I have had them out for one test hike, 3 miles or so and I had blisters on the back of both feet above my heel pad. I wore liner socks under my wigwams, I didnt put in my superfeet yet.

I am wondering if the "Heel cup" is to deep, it feels like they are trying to round over your heel to keep it from slipping but that creates a pressure point going uphill. Or is this the product of needing more break in time?

Thank you very much for any help I get.

6:36 p.m. on June 10, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

It could one or both. They could not fit you the best and or need to be broken in a little more. For me personally, almost all footwear I own gives me blisters in the same place the first hiking outing I wear them on. Seems like after I have 10 miles on them or so the problem disappears entirely.

If they fit semi snugly and don't slip at all and your feet arnt sliding aroun in them I would venture to say they just need to be broken in a little more.

11:11 p.m. on June 10, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Probably need some more break in time. One thing to keep in mind is that your "breaking in" your feet to the new boots as well as the boots to your feet. 
I just got a pair of Asolo 535s, and they took a bit of breaking in as well. The first couple days of wearing them I had a hot spot on my left little toe, and the second day of full hiking produced a hot spot on my heel just like yours. A little moleskin solved the problem in the immediate, and they've not been a problem since. 

2:47 p.m. on June 11, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

give them time. the asolos are good boots.

4:28 p.m. on June 11, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

With new boots I get hot spots in certain spots.I found a longer break in period for different boots.Yours might take a little longer..

7:03 p.m. on June 11, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,493 forum posts

I agree about Asolo being good...but they nearly wrecked me when I bought my first and last pair. That isn't the point though. What IS is that as a result of some mondo blisters and a numb top of my foot that has not ever come back (since mid 2011) I found this place and got great foot/boot advice. I learned a lot about lacing and sock systems and insoles and taping etc. A book I have that is invaluable, reccomended by BillS is FIXING YOUR FEET. I attribute it to a total recovery from foot fear taht resulted from that fateful day in the Asolos. I am a KEEN girl and wear all things KEEN. The keens served me well in Nepal and will go with me to Peru too. Though others here have had less than positive results.

1:30 p.m. on June 12, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

giftogab said:

I agree about Asolo being good...but they nearly wrecked me when I bought my first and last pair. That isn't the point though. What IS is that as a result of some mondo blisters and a numb top of my foot that has not ever come back (since mid 2011) I found this place and got great foot/boot advice. I learned a lot about lacing and sock systems and insoles and taping etc. A book I have that is invaluable, reccomended by BillS is FIXING YOUR FEET. I attribute it to a total recovery from foot fear taht resulted from that fateful day in the Asolos. I am a KEEN girl and wear all things KEEN. The keens served me well in Nepal and will go with me to Peru too. Though others here have had less than positive results.

Thanks for the tip everyone, I just came from keen! I liked the boot, it served me well but my feet are a little narrow and keen is wide, I also didnt like the HUGE toebox... The problem I had, there is a strap that runs around the boot behind your heel that pulls the heel inward when you tighten the boot. Due to my low volume feet, the strap eventually dug into the leather around the heel causing the strap to actually meet together where the straps get pulled tight with the laces. Since I couldnt lock in my heel anymore I started getting blisters.. And the tread was about gone anyway so im on to these asolo boots. Ill take a look at that book, thanks!

Im sticking with the asolo for a couple months to see how they break in, they look built to last and can be resoled which I really like as I take care of my boots and the tread is usually gone way before the life of the materials...

3:55 p.m. on June 12, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,493 forum posts

Robert: I Love the Keens for teh very reasons they don't work for you. I know others here have also had concerns about the sole....tread wear, lug loss and seperation. Asolo just were built wrong for my feet, but my brother swears by his. It is nice there is so much out there for us to get a good fir for our individual foot makeup. Good lucka dn taht book helps to have on hand no matter your boot choices.

5:30 p.m. on June 12, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,290 forum posts

i agree with your approach.  play it by ear and see if the blistering abates as you get more comfortable with the boots.

at the same time, it is possible the boots aren't the best fit for you.  that people like a particular brand often reflects the fact that the last (the foot-shaped thingy around which each shoe and boot manufacturer designs its footwear) used by that brand is similar to their feet.  finding a boot that fits means trying things on with the sock combination you plan to use, but there is some inevitable trial and error in that process. 

while you are in the middle of the break in process, it might be a good idea to apply moleskin or the equivalent to the parts of your feet where you anticipate friction, where you have experienced blistering with these boots.  put it on before you start, while your feet are still dry, which makes it less likely to peel off.  and cut it to size; i use a pair of surgical safety scissors that won't spear me or my backpack.  and bring extra moleskin and pairs of socks so you can change if needed.  damp socks, even merino wool ones, can contribute to blisters too.   

4:40 p.m. on June 15, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

Maybe 3 miles was a bit too much for your first break-in hike? I like to wear new boots casually, around the house, for a couple of weeks before I even put them to trail...this helps the footbed & heel counter mold to your foot through just the heat of your body and pressure of your weight, under low G-forces with frequent breaks (as you sit down to eat the sandwich you just made, or sit down to watch TV...).

Then, after a couple weeks of very low-intensity stuff like that--which actually breaks them in quite a bit--you take them on the trail for a three-miler.

Also, Leukotape > moleskin (and everything else). Put a piece of Leukotape on each heel before you go for a hike, and then foget about it for up to 5 days, and then repeat as necessary. The stuff stays on through wet, soaked feet, showers, you name it...I used to get blisters on my heels nearly every day when I was breaking in my last pair of Logger boots, until I started using Leukotape; not one blister since...

2:11 p.m. on June 16, 2013 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER REVIEW CORPS
899 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

I have to agree with how excellent Leukotape is... whether it be body repair, or preventative maintenance.

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply