Sleeping bag for a dog?

9:40 p.m. on July 11, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

We took our dog with us for a weekend backcountry camping trip. When the night time temperature dropped to 40's, he started shivering and whimpering, wanting to come inside our sleeping bags. He is a medium-sized cocker spaniel (28lb), and our mummy sleeping bags had no space for him. He was sandwiched between 2 sleeping bags, but it didn't provide enough warmth for him to stay comfortable.

I searched and found 2 doggy sleeping bags: Guardian Gear Alpine Sleeper, which seems a bit heavy and bulky for its size, and Ruffwear Highlands Bed, which is basically a pad rather than a bag and wouldn't allow him to crawl inside. I am looking for an ultralight doggy sleeping bag, as I am a small framed woman and can't carry heavy weight while my husband has to haul an old 2-person tent that weighs whooping 8lb (I know it's due for an upgrade!)

Here are my questions:

For those of you who take canine cold sleepers for backcountry camping trip, what kind of sleeping arrangement do you make for your dog?

If I were to make a sleeping bag for a dog that is very light and compact, what kind of material would you recommend?

Any good canine sleeping bag on the market I am not aware of?

11:48 a.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,352 forum posts

How about getting a child size sleeping bag for your dog? Being smaller it would be lighter than a adult sized bag. Could get a extra sleeping pad too. A pad adds 10 degrees of warmth to a body laying on the ground or tent floor.

1:54 p.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

I camp with my dog in winter weather quite often.  I bring him along a nice doggie bed to get him off the floor of the tent and after he curls up in it I throw my big Carhart winter jacket over him and he seems good to go.  Often times in the morning, usually around 4 AM, he is very reluctant to get out of the tent in sub-freezing temps.  lol.  Just like a kid.....   

2:07 p.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
29 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

I would get a light weight pad and just buy an infant or kids sized lightweight quilt, it seems to me he would stay more covered up that way, because if he is anything like my dog a sleeping bag would not be to his liking. I have a quilt I have used for my dogs before, picked it up at kmart or walmart (can't remember which)

3:02 p.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

a dogbed and a quilt seems the way to go.

5:00 p.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

If looking for materials. Mylar/a space blanket backing sewn into a large or double layered fleece material should be comfy. If needing padding so the critter doesn't lose heat to the ground, cut the section out of one of the cheap blue camping mats or a well-loved Thermarest. Materials for the blanket should be about ten to twelve bucks, about 4x4 ft. should be plenty for the blanket dimensions. Fleece material should be available at any fabric store. Space blanket material will have to be from a space blanket, and should only be air dried never machine dried. 

6:51 p.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,287 forum posts

In the snow I have used a parka for a dog sleeping bag. Down or fleece work fine.  Zip Fido into the jacket with the head sticking out.  My dog would spend the whole night in the thing and was quite content.

10:52 p.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,363 reviewer rep
631 forum posts

I bring a closed cell foam pad and double it over for the ground and use a heavy wool blanket as well as my down jacket on top.

9:15 a.m. on July 13, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

a pad is more than half the battle. just cut a cheap ccf pad from walmart etc in 1/4 or 1/2. Then just a cheap fleece blanket, also cut down to size if needed. No need to get fancy. You can get this setup for probably less than $15.

3:02 a.m. on July 15, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

I've never seen my dogs get too cold sleeping in the tent with me/us.

I throw an old fleece blanket down to keep them off the cold tent floor/ground and they do just fine.  It's almost always several degrees warmer inside just from the bodyheat of the occupants.

5:29 p.m. on July 15, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Aneroid, I own Ardeth backpacking gear, an independent company. We build American made, cruelty-free, lightweight backpacking gear. I would like to work with you to make a custom bed for your little one. If you're willing, we'll work on designing it together. Send me an email at Jason at ArdethGear.com and we can get started. You can also get a hold of me here: http://www.ardethgear.com/contact.html

7:29 p.m. on July 15, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I think insulating the dog from the cold ground is half the battle. if you have good ground insulation then all you should need is a cheap blanket to go over them. I think it would be difficult to keep a dog in a sleeping bag anyway.

4:39 a.m. on July 31, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
247 forum posts

The norwegian compny Jervenduken makes already a sleeping "bag" for dogs. http://www.jerven.no/jervehiet-for-hund the bottom is double and has a closed cell foam insulation Otto

10:18 a.m. on July 31, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,287 forum posts

Spend money for new stuff or use what you have. A jacket works fine. I rarely wear my heavy down or fleece jacket to bed anyway, so there is nothing new to add to the gear pile either.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply