Winter bicycle gloves

11:07 p.m. on October 9, 2013 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I would like to get some information on some brands of bicycling gloves that really work for Winter riding. I currently use pearl izumi Lobster gloves but are looking for some finger gloves that will really keep my fingers warm. I'm talking down to 20 degrees or more with the wind factor.

11:34 p.m. on October 9, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

I've read such good things about DeFeet Merino Duragloves that I'm thinking about picking up a pair for hiking/backpacking. I think they also come in a synthetic.

8:18 a.m. on October 10, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,399 reviewer rep
743 forum posts

Matt, I have a pair of the Pearl Izumi Lobster gloves, and I really like them. I've ridden in real air temps in the low 20's, not factoring windchill. My hands have never gotten cold.

The weird shape works surprisingly well. When I ride (which is not much any more), I am constantly shifting hand positions. I found these worked well at all times in all positions.

If you go to a true glove, you're just not going to get the warmth of a mitt. This is the closest compromise I've seen.

9:19 a.m. on October 10, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,022 forum posts

For the amount of insulation you need to cram into gloves with fingers to keep you warm below 20 degrees, you lose so much dexterity that you're probably better off with the lobster claws.

I've used the Black Diamond Punisher Gloves, and they worked well, but not as well as any decent mitten I've used.

You might experiment with a vapor barrier liner for a glove. It would be a bit sticky, but would be very effective in keeping you warm!

10:33 a.m. on October 10, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,072 forum posts

I have a pair of Avenir winter cycling gloves that I ordered a few weeks. They do not work as well as the ad for them claimed. I ride 6 miles to work every morning and when its been cold out my fingers are still clod by the time I get there. I wear my old winter hiking gloves inside but my hands now go to sleep/get numb by the time I get to work. 

I have a pair of wool mittens which the fold back cover over the fingers which worked well last time I went winter camping I am going to try over them the next cold morning.

10:54 a.m. on October 10, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

...but my hands now go to sleep/get numb by the time I get to work. 

That's not a good thing, Gary - that's how you get frostbite. I got used to having numb feet when snowshoeing and wound up with frostbite in a couple of toes because I didn't realize how cold they were. Look for something looser that will keep the circulation going! 

Have you guys looked at stores that sell gear for snowmobiles? It's designed specifically for cold weather and high wind chills. 

11:01 a.m. on October 10, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

I use a pair of fleece fishing gloves that are also mittens.  I can pull my fingers out of the mittens for technical issues, but normally ride with them in the mittens, and toasty warm. 

Of course I live in California, so YMMV

5:01 p.m. on October 13, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

your not going to get the same warmth with finger gloves that you get with mittens. that's just a given.

7:06 a.m. on October 14, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,072 forum posts

I have found that wearing my winter cycling gloves with a pair of wool mittens over them keeps my fingers warm. The mittens are the kind with the inner finger and thumb parts with the fold back mitten cover. I only use my break lever once as I stop at work so they are very useful for my 6 mile ride each morning from 530-550 am.

9:58 p.m. on October 16, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

your talking about fliptop mittens. I have a pair, somewhere and they're really warm. I like the way you can poke your thumb out of them...

3:01 a.m. on November 17, 2013 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I would check some of the skiing sites and see what they wear. I have several pairs of gloves and mitts, including some from REI that are pretty warm. Haven't used them cycling-not cold enough here for that, but worth looking at. You might also look at the gloves and mitts sold by Heat Factory-you can put those little chemical packs in them. I have a pair that are similar to the lobster design that I wear skiing and snowshoeing and I like them a lot.

7:08 a.m. on November 17, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,072 forum posts

I no longer ride all the way to work mornings now catch a ride with a coworker in his truck, but thanks for the info. I am moving to warm Tucson in two weeks where winter is like summer to me with lows in the 40s and highs in the 80s during winter months. And I won't be getting up at 5 am to go to work as I will be on a four month vacation.

Before I started catching a ride a few weeks ago, I found silk inner gloves with winter cycling gloves and wool outer mitts worked pretty well, tho it still is not really cold out yet here in SW Utah.

8:03 p.m. on December 4, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
721 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Here in CO I carry a pair of those disposable plastic gloves that come in my wife's hair coloring kit.  If my hands get too cold I put those on under my full fingered cycling gloves and they really help in warming my hands and keeping the wind from getting through to my fingers.

I've found with other liner gloves that if the whole assembly gets too tight around my fingers, they start falling asleep and the ride gets uncomfortable.

10:25 a.m. on December 5, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,072 forum posts

Sounds like a good idea. I work in a restaurant and we have similar ones for sanitation. I will try this. I usually wear silk liners with winter cycling gloves over them and then a pair of wool mitts over them both. But my finger tips still get cold after a 6 mile/20 minute ride to work.

I usually go to Tucson for the winters but as late decided to stay here this winter. Its -14 right now at almost 830 am. The place I live in SW Utah is beneath a 1000 foot cliff and the sun does not get high enough to come over it until 10:40 am, so it stays much colder by about 20 degrees than out on the west side of the valley where the sun shines by 8 am.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply