oldie but goodie - hi!

7:44 p.m. on October 16, 2013 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

hi all ...I just found my way here - I'm a 'pre-seasoned' hiker ...back to it after 12 years of letting life get in the way - I live north of the Adirondacks, so great hiking is only an hour away ...have many hikes under my backpack, but since I've been 'away' ...I'm looking for tips & suggestions on the newest 'gear', clothing & such ...happy to have found this place!

8:53 p.m. on October 16, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,312 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Lori! But what's this business about "pre-seasoned"? From your avatar, it looks like you are a young kid {8=>D

(at least compared to this OGBO (Old GreyBearded One))

9:07 p.m. on October 16, 2013 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

Hi Lori, you and I share similar experiences, I've got winter survival training, hiking, backpacking and lightweight camping in my earlier years but have gotten back into backpacking after a 20 year hiatus.

Welcome, we can all learn and share.

9:54 p.m. on October 16, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

welcome, lori! you'll find that this is the place for all things hiking, camping and backpacking. if you ask specific questions, you'll get specific answers. again, welcome!!

7:12 a.m. on October 17, 2013 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

thanks for the nice notes!!  I look forward to learning & sharing!

8:38 a.m. on October 17, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,276 reviewer rep
829 forum posts

Welcome, Lori!

11:18 a.m. on October 17, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,298 forum posts

a long time ago, i spent summers in Chateaugay, NY and guided hiking and canoe trips in the Adirondacks.   it's a great place to be. 

My favorite place to find good gear in that area was the Mountaineer, about a half hour from lake placid in Keene Valley.  Been a while, but I think it's still around. 

7:47 p.m. on October 17, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,495 forum posts

Good to have you here Lori!

We'll be happy to do anything we can to help you get back out there, there are some very knowledgeable folks here.

12:04 a.m. on October 18, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
723 reviewer rep
915 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Lori. You will find the members very open, warm and helpful, and sometimes very opinionated on the gear they recommend.

The best of luck on your journey of rediscovery.

7:18 a.m. on October 20, 2013 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I already have found everyone to kind & helpful!

Andrew:  I do believe that shop you mentioned is still in Keene Valley although I have never been there - I have heard of it.  It's probably about 2 hours from where I live - definitely have to stop when I head out that way.

It looks to be a nice morning on the make here ...where to go

10:24 a.m. on October 25, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Welcome, Lori! 

My first suggestion on gear and such would be to spend some time browsing back through the forums for threads that relate to what you're interested in. There is so much fantastic info and discussion resting like jewels to be found!  

I joined trailspace a few years back when I was getting back into backpacking after a late college education. I spent month browsing the forums and gleaning so much wonderful info before I joined.  It was so wonderful to find a community of enthusiastic, generous, and experienced people on a forum that was clearly a friendly place! I've hiked, fished, and camped my whole life, but got more interested in spending more time on my own in the wilder places. 

As you get to know the place a bit, I suggest checking out the gear reports by the Review Corps. The depth of analysis and testing in those will give you a really good idea what to look for and keep in mind as you delve into the daunting task of selecting what you need. 

And, of course, don't hesitate to inquire when you need more advice! 

Best, 

Gonzan / Caleb

10:27 a.m. on October 28, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Great to have you here. Join in and have fun!

1:15 p.m. on November 12, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
685 reviewer rep
3,100 forum posts

A belated welcome to you, Lori!

7:48 a.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

ty!  :)

9:29 a.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
172 forum posts