sleeping pad

8:26 p.m. on February 5, 2014 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

I'm camping solo after camping with someone for the past 5 years. In the past I used an air mattress but they are bulky for just me. I'm 5'8" so something long is not needed. I have used Therma- rest pads in the past but probably the pad I have needs an upgrade. Any suggestions?

9:19 p.m. on February 5, 2014 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,309 reviewer rep
368 forum posts

There are lots of great options camperPete...I use a combination of inflatables like the Thermarest Neo-Air X-Lite and Neo-Air Camper (I also have a hardly used self-inflating Thermarest Trail-Pro that I'm about to sell on Ebay if you're interested). Nothing I use is that different from a lot of other folks...but if you're feeling adventures companies like Klymite make ultra-light mattresses that make the head-spin in both specs and appearance...though the verdict seems to still be out on body-mapping. Others swing the opposite direction of companies like Klymite...and stuff a little down or synthetic insulation into the mattresses for what seems like sheer decadence...but does get good reviews (see Exped). If you're a little more hardy you could go Spartan and get a simple pad...what pads lack in comfort they make up for in reliability and cost savings...the Z-Lite is a popular lightweight choice...and I once witnessed a guy sleep on a Yoga mat he said was called the Thinlight he got through Gossamer Gear...though I believe it was cognitive dissonance...he claimed it was comfortable. Of course...others will suggest you do away with the mattress idea entirely and try swinging from the trees in a hammock...I love mine...so it is a totally viable option when going solo.

11:44 p.m. on February 5, 2014 (EST)
13 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

I have to agree with the hammock statement, I love mine. That being said when I end up somewhere without trees I use a Big Agnes Air Core. 

Light, packs about the size of a small coffee can. Very comfortable no insulation so I wouldn't recommend it for late fall/winter/early spring

Blows up 3.25 inches

comes in 20" wide by 48"/66"/72"/78" long

So you can pretty much pick a length that suits you.

2:24 a.m. on February 6, 2014 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

AS Joesph said alot of options..If your a side sleeper you should take that into consideration also..I used a Z-lite but I move around alot and just wore on my hips. Moved to The Neo Air and no problem.Now on the Neo Xlite but its crinkly at first till its broke in..The Big Agnus Air core is good also..Depends on exactly your needs..  Yeah if you love to Camp Hammock is it..:0

3:34 p.m. on February 6, 2014 (EST)
179 reviewer rep
191 forum posts

In the summer I use a blue Wal Mart foam pad. Light, cheap, never goes flat and I don't have to blow it up! Makes a great pad to sit on too.

I have one that I have cut in half making it 36 inches long by 20 wide, and this works great for trips down low, or late summer when the ground is generally warm, or when I know I'll not be sleeping in established camp grounds with bare, packed, concrete-hard dirt. If necessary I'll use my empty pack under my legs.

In cooler weather I'll use a full length walmart foam pad, and colder still I pull out a full length thermarest "Trail lite regular" which is 28.6 ounces but very comfy. 

I also have an older thermarest Prolite 4 at 24.8 ounces, and a full size non-tapered thermarest pad that dates from the early 80's that is the ultimate in warmth and comfort. It is  37.8 ounces but still gets pulled out for canoe trips and for sleeping on ice and snow. 

Heh, I also use a six ounce inflatable pillow year round - call me a softie!

1:47 p.m. on February 8, 2014 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

I'm looking at the Thermarest neo air camper in an X-large size. Probably my best bet. I have an old Thermarest mattress that still holds air but need something longer as it is only 48" by 20".

5:24 p.m. on February 8, 2014 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,309 reviewer rep
368 forum posts

Pete...I did a review of the Neo-Air Camper here: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/therm-a-rest/neoair-camper/#review29540...I use mine a lot when I go kayaking and canoeing...because the added weight is less important...and I often find myself pitching camp on gravel:-) With that said...it is a totally viable (if not a little cushy) option for backpacking...most of the people I go backpacking with don't have their own gear...so I often lend this mattress to friends...or if my companion is smaller...I carry the Camper and let them use my X-Lite.

7:44 p.m. on February 8, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,761 reviewer rep
791 forum posts

Here's my review on a nice minimalist pad....

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/wenzel/camp-pad/#review28563

But, I'm a hammock camper...and I don't see myself camping where there aren't any trees to hang. ;)

9:13 a.m. on February 9, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

I am also a hammock camper and would recommend going that route! I will never go back to the ground if given a choice to hang in a particular area.

However, my wife has a neoair that i have used on a few occassions, and I would probably buy one for myself if I needed a ground pad. Most comfortable pad i have used.

8:13 p.m. on February 13, 2014 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Where I go you cant set up in the trees.

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply