My First Aid Kit

7:23 a.m. on February 25, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,663 reviewer rep
777 forum posts

In another thread about grams, a couple people asked me to post some videos of how I took weight off my pack. That thread has wandered so many places (good wandering!)  I thought I would post them here.

The first vid is under 2 minutes and focuses on reducing packaging that adds empty weight to the pack:

And this is my take on a well-balanced, UL First Aid kit. I understand there are ways to go lighter, but this is my choice...."Hike your own hike!"

9:34 a.m. on February 25, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

The videos are great, keep them coming.  Nice job of finding simple, readily available containers for repacking creams and the like.

8:37 p.m. on February 26, 2014 (EST)
5,663 reviewer rep
777 forum posts

I was out snowshoeing in the Rocky Mountains today with a guy who use to teach backcountry camping courses at UCLA. I showed him my FAK, and he was really impressed with it. At first, I thought he was just being polite, but at the end of the day, he brought the subject up again and restated that it was a quality kit.

So...everyone has their opinions, but it was good to hear from a "professional."

11:37 p.m. on March 6, 2014 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

One thing to consider to add is Tagaderm. It was developed for burn care, but it is excellent for any open wound, including blister care.

I also have used straw lengths melted closed when I am being a gram weenie to carry ointment.

And the strangest item I won't leave without is 20% Anbesol gel. Not only is it good for mouth issues, It works amazingly well on mosquito bites!

2:05 a.m. on March 7, 2014 (EST)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
470 forum posts

Smart call on the Anbesol - never would've thought of it, but makes complete and total sense now! Not a terrible thing for a thru-hiker to have, either...rarely if ever do you see dental care represented beyond the 'ol brush/paste/floss (if that). 

6:56 p.m. on March 7, 2014 (EST)
179 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

Nice kit Goose, I finally found the time to watch yer vid.

It is rather similar to my kit!

10:04 p.m. on March 7, 2014 (EST)
13 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Adventure Medical makes a nice 3.5oz dental  kit with just about everything you would need for a dental emergency. I always carry one with me on hikes and Camping

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/medical-kits/pocket-sized-kits-1/dental-medic.html

12:47 p.m. on March 8, 2014 (EST)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER REVIEW CORPS
914 reviewer rep
143 forum posts

+1 on the Tegaderm... these really are a game-changer!

I also would recommend anyone to carry an irrigation syringe, very light, very useful.

6:20 p.m. on March 15, 2014 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

nice job on the fak video. yours weighs a ton next to mine! but then I'm just day hiking now. I have the adventure dental kit, on multidays since I have fillings. its got temp filling material, which would come in handy should I lose one.

10:58 a.m. on March 20, 2014 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER REVIEW CORPS
914 reviewer rep
143 forum posts

I want to thank you G00SE! I really love the idea of using the contact lens storage jars... Now if I can just find the kind with Hello Kitty logos... jk?

hellokitty.jpg

11:07 a.m. on March 21, 2014 (EDT)
5,663 reviewer rep
777 forum posts

HA! HA! HA! I'd totally go with Hello Kitty if I could find them.

11:56 a.m. on March 21, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
906 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

First of all, there's a ton of personality in your vids.  It makes me want to see them to the end just to know what whacky thing happens... I wouldn't want to miss out!

As to the FAK, it's clearly well thought through.  Thanks for sharing G00SE!

7:39 p.m. on March 21, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Great video Goose, I keep stuff in my contact lens cases too. Still looking for something to put the magic beans in though.

Cheers.

7:24 p.m. on March 22, 2014 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I am just starting out.  Thank you for putting together the video.  I got to see everything as you went through each section.  I also liked that you gave a reason for your supplies.

8:36 a.m. on March 23, 2014 (EDT)
5,663 reviewer rep
777 forum posts

@Mike- Magic Beans fit nicely in an empty chap stick tube.

@Sweetpea- Thanks for the props. If you check my YouTube page I have some other videos like this. Please subscribe!

11:55 p.m. on March 24, 2014 (EDT)
1,988 reviewer rep
470 forum posts

Informative stuff, Goose. I'd caution anyone from using contact lens cases to hold liquids, however, as they will leak - I'm hiking this entire coming season with eyeglasses that have Transitions lenses because of the leakage. Also a little more UL by not having to carry all the contact lens paraphernalia. Ointments and toothpaste should be fine, though. Thanks for posting this!

12:15 p.m. on March 26, 2014 (EDT)
1,988 reviewer rep
470 forum posts

Forgot to thank you, too, Goose - we've owned a Scentsy for probably a couple years now, and the scent's starting to fade. Using it as a firestarter? Fantastic way of re-purposing what otherwise would be plain 'ol trash.

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply