Pillows

8:02 p.m. on July 15, 2017 (EDT)
90 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

In the interest of shedding ounces where I can find them

9:01 p.m. on July 15, 2017 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,872 forum posts

How 'bout also saving some money and just use the clothes not worn to bed as pillow?

Ed

9:23 p.m. on July 15, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,275 reviewer rep
5,980 forum posts

Many of us do what Ed said. However, sometimes in winter on high altitude mountains, we need all the clothes we can put on. Ed left out that most people use the stuff bag of their sleeping bag or tent as a pillow.

Of course, if you have a sleeping bag designed for the temperature you expect, then you may have enough extra clothes.

Then again, some of the inflatable pillows are pretty light.

How much of an Ultralighter are you?

And do you have a significant other with whom you can snuggle up and keep each other warm? Works for Barb and me with our zip-together bags.

11:45 p.m. on July 15, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,337 reviewer rep
871 forum posts

My answer to this has changed over the last five years...used to be a stuff sack full of clothes guy, then a down puffy only...now I carry one of two pillows depending on the trip length. I have reviews I am finishing up on both the Nemo Fill (9oz) for short trips and Coccoon Ultralight Pillow (4 oz) for longer trips. Wouldn't leave one behind now. My wife and I both have back and neck issues....these two pillows gave radically improved our comfort level. Can't say they would have the same effect on a healthy back though.

11:17 a.m. on July 16, 2017 (EDT)
148 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

I just switched from a stuff sack of clothes to a Nemo Fillo ultralight (3oz.) last month. It's all right but not thick enough. I should have done a better test drive at the store.

10:53 p.m. on July 18, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,991 reviewer rep
1,939 forum posts

REI sells several options.  I fold up a fleece jacket and rest my head on that.

11:08 a.m. on July 21, 2017 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,153 forum posts

I stuff extra clothes into a stuff sack and use it for a pillow. Or even inflate my Camelbak bladder for a pillow

3:03 p.m. on July 21, 2017 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
99 reviewer rep
91 forum posts

Same as Gary

I will stuff my spare clothe's into my sleeping bag compression sack and use that.

That way I can adjust the size and firmness. 

Paul

6:34 p.m. on July 21, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,501 reviewer rep
214 forum posts

Answers to this will be like comparing apples to oranges -- what pillow system you need or is most comfortable depends on your sleep style and what else you carry, among other things. I'm a side and rotisserie sleeper, my needs are very different from someone who sleeps motionless on his/her back all night. I have a size large Monkey Pillow case (unfortunately not made anymore) and I put a FlexAir disposable pillow in on the bottom then stuff my down puffy in on top -- gives me the lift I need to keep my spine aligned, down cushiness under my head with the air pillow filling some of the volume so the down doesn't compress to nothing. Total added weight is 2 oz. I further rigged a couple of attachment points on my pad to mitten clips on the pillow case so that the pillow stays in place all night. I don't carry any "extra" clothes.

1:52 p.m. on July 23, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,679 reviewer rep
694 forum posts

Only if I am using my hip-bag instead of a backpack in the summer do I not bring my Thermarest pillow...the issue with the pillow for me is always volume not weight. I would bring dried food and Esbit before I would cut the 8 oz. that the pillow weighs...but most of the time I bring the pillow and heavy food and still come in around 15 lbs for a weekend. I am not sure an 8-10 lb. load is worth eating dried food and no pillow...which recharge my spirit as much as my body...but I do this for fun and I'm a little cushy. All that said...I would definitely try it without a pillow first...its cheaper...and by that point you decide you want a pillow you should have a better idea of what you need.

9:04 a.m. on July 24, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,590 reviewer rep
1,570 forum posts

I use the REI ultralight down pillow. Not sure of the weight offhand, think its like 6 or 8oz. Its not great for a tent because it does flatten out a good bit, but works great in a hammock. I always bring it with me. I did the extra clothes thing for a while, but find the purpose built pillow to be more comfortable. And as Bill mentioned, sometimes in those deep winter trips I decide to use some of those extra clothes to sleep in.

November 19, 2017
Quick Reply