Glide wax on snowshoes

8:41 p.m. on February 18, 2018 (EST)
956 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Today I was out snowshoeing in the fresh, wet, HEAVY snow we got overnight, and every couple hundred yards I had to whack them against a tree to knock off the buildup of snow underneath. I looked like I was wearing 70s disco pimp platform snowshoes! Would a good coating of glide wax likely help reduce snow buildup? Does it all have to be applied with an iron, or is there spray-on or rub-on stuff?

7:30 a.m. on February 19, 2018 (EST)
6,368 reviewer rep
1,193 forum posts

Cooking spray is a popular solution that is easy to apply. Tends to wear off after a while, as does most anything used this way. Good for a few hours at least usually though.

10:08 a.m. on February 19, 2018 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
3,138 forum posts

Pam works well.  I have used it on the bottom of my mule's feet for the same reason. 

5:19 a.m. on February 20, 2018 (EST)
956 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

I had not thought of that, I guess only having nonstick cookware is to blame LOL. 

10:44 a.m. on February 20, 2018 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
3,138 forum posts

It is hard to get ski wax to stick to a varnished surface, or aluminum.

5:58 a.m. on February 21, 2018 (EST)
956 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

It seems it’s sticking to the decking for the most part, but it may be starting at the traction bars. I used a pair of plastic snowshoes the last time I went out in wet snow and didn’t have any sticking problems, so it must be the pair I was using that day. I’ll try to remember to get cooking spray next time I go to the store.  

3:22 p.m. on February 21, 2018 (EST)
2,816 reviewer rep
912 forum posts

Maybe silicone spray? Swix F4 is general purpose glide wax, comes as a paste or liquid with applicator. But it's expensive and if ppine is right it may not work, so I'd try the cheaper alternatives first.

11:17 p.m. on February 21, 2018 (EST)
263 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

When the snow gets icothermic. I’ll swich to tradition snowshoes the snow doesn’t seem to stick to the spar varnish on the babish 

8:29 a.m. on March 13, 2018 (EDT)
2,590 reviewer rep
1,628 forum posts

Late to the party on this one, but I use mushers secret. Mainly because I have it on hand already. Only takes a little bit and works great. This is my in the field solution, but at home pam etc works great.

March 22, 2018
Quick Reply