Glide wax on snowshoes

8:41 p.m. on February 18, 2018 (EST)
956 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Today I was out snowshoeing in the fresh, wet, HEAVY snow we got overnight, and every couple hundred yards I had to whack them against a tree to knock off the buildup of snow underneath. I looked like I was wearing 70s disco pimp platform snowshoes! Would a good coating of glide wax likely help reduce snow buildup? Does it all have to be applied with an iron, or is there spray-on or rub-on stuff?

7:30 a.m. on February 19, 2018 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,769 reviewer rep
1,267 forum posts

Cooking spray is a popular solution that is easy to apply. Tends to wear off after a while, as does most anything used this way. Good for a few hours at least usually though.

10:08 a.m. on February 19, 2018 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
3,218 forum posts

Pam works well.  I have used it on the bottom of my mule's feet for the same reason. 

5:19 a.m. on February 20, 2018 (EST)
956 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

I had not thought of that, I guess only having nonstick cookware is to blame LOL. 

10:44 a.m. on February 20, 2018 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
3,218 forum posts

It is hard to get ski wax to stick to a varnished surface, or aluminum.

5:58 a.m. on February 21, 2018 (EST)
956 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

It seems it’s sticking to the decking for the most part, but it may be starting at the traction bars. I used a pair of plastic snowshoes the last time I went out in wet snow and didn’t have any sticking problems, so it must be the pair I was using that day. I’ll try to remember to get cooking spray next time I go to the store.  

3:22 p.m. on February 21, 2018 (EST)
2,987 reviewer rep
946 forum posts

Maybe silicone spray? Swix F4 is general purpose glide wax, comes as a paste or liquid with applicator. But it's expensive and if ppine is right it may not work, so I'd try the cheaper alternatives first.

11:17 p.m. on February 21, 2018 (EST)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
297 reviewer rep
100 forum posts

When the snow gets icothermic. I’ll swich to tradition snowshoes the snow doesn’t seem to stick to the spar varnish on the babish 

8:29 a.m. on March 13, 2018 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,590 reviewer rep
1,630 forum posts

Late to the party on this one, but I use mushers secret. Mainly because I have it on hand already. Only takes a little bit and works great. This is my in the field solution, but at home pam etc works great.

3:18 p.m. on May 18, 2018 (EDT)
733 reviewer rep
1,381 forum posts

This is an older post, however a solution to this is a product called McLube. It is often sold in sailing supply stores. It lasts much longer than pam.

4:04 p.m. on May 21, 2018 (EDT)
5,732 reviewer rep
2,048 forum posts

WD40 isn't a permanent solution, but I have used it when my anti-balling plates on my crampons aren't doing the job in certain snow conditions, ditto for the anti-balling neoprene flaps on my snowshoe bindings.  

June 19, 2018
Quick Reply