Newbie needing advice

1:26 p.m. on March 10, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Hey guys. I'm new to backpacking, and I'm in need of some suggestions on a good pack. I have 2 trips planned, one of which is about 3 days, and the other will be a little under a week. (35-45 miles, most likely). Are there any packs you guys would recommend that I could get for somewhere around the $100 mark? Plus or minus $20 or so. I'm planning on keeping my weight to around 30 lbs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Seth

2:10 p.m. on March 10, 2004 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
Call your local camping specialty store

not one of the large chain sporting goods stores.

The local guy may have demo packs that you can rent.

I have a camp trails wilderness internal frame pack that I dearly love and cost about $120. It holds nearly 7200 cubic inches of camping toys. Don't think those are available new anymore. Actually... not many packs available in the $100 range anymore.

New to backpacking and going to keep weight to 30lbs? Let us know how much you end up really carrying!

good hiking!

5:48 p.m. on March 11, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Seth - There are many packs (probably hundreds) that could suit your needs depending on where you're going, what you're doing and what you're carrying.

You could check these out though.

Gregory G and Z Pack
Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone
GoLite Trek
Osprey Aether 60 and 75

All are good weekend and lightweight week long packs. Use caution packing them with more than 30 pounds though. The Osprey is bit more $ than what you're looking to spend, but could last a lifetime. You should be able to find great deals on the Gregory G pack.

Best thing to do is take your gear to a local shop or retailer, pack the bags and try them on. Go with the most comfortable and try to get some advice from a knowlegable salesperson - they should do a torso measurement for you too.

Good luck getting to 30 lbs.!

---------------

Quote:

Hey guys. I'm new to backpacking, and I'm in need of some suggestions on a good pack. I have 2 trips planned, one of which is about 3 days, and the other will be a little under a week. (35-45 miles, most likely). Are there any packs you guys would recommend that I could get for somewhere around the $100 mark? Plus or minus $20 or so. I'm planning on keeping my weight to around 30 lbs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Seth

3:13 a.m. on March 12, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Much thanks for the help! With the pack/sleeping bag/tent setup I currently have planned, I'm staying pretty close to 10 lbs, which is the general rule I've read and heard that you should keep those 3 close to.

Oh, and these aren't solo trips I'm planning...so I don't have to carry everything, LoL. A friend of mine is more experienced so he's carrying the fuel and stoves and such. That helps my weight a lot too. :-)

10:47 a.m. on March 15, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Call your local camping specialty store

Quote:

not one of the large chain sporting goods stores.

REI sells a pack under their own name called a rising star, for about $150 or so. Has a dual stay suspension - weighs about 3.5 Lbs empty with volume of approx 3200-3500 CI. I have my weight down to 30 lbs with this pack, much more comfortable carrying than the single stay packs. I tried the Gregory Forrester, single stay dug into my back at about 30 LBS.

10:35 a.m. on March 19, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. James Kennedy

I have a very nice comfortable backpack with nice features, but it weighs like 8 pounds, so I don't like to use it anymore. 30 pounds is a very reasonable target. It would be a shame if more than 20% of that was an empty pack.

I know they have started making good light packs, but I'm not sure the price is where you or I would like to see them yet. See if you can find something cheap and light but high volume. Don't worry about features like extra compartments and zippers and pull strings and stuff like that. At 30 pounds you will need some padding and a waist belt, but not a lot of padding.

12:05 p.m. on April 24, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

Well I did it. I would up going with a Jansport Klamath 78, and I succeeded in staying around 30 lbs. My goal wasn't to get under 30, mind you, just around. And I was at about 34.5 lbs. Thanks for the tips guys. My first real backpacking trip was a blast, and I'm itching to return in a few weeks.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply