Getting Started

10:44 p.m. on October 25, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi, I am new to the forums. Last summer I took 4 backpacking trips and really enjoyed myself. The equipment I used was from a freind and I would like to buy my own gear. I was just wondering what equipment would be best for 4-7 day light packing trips. The climate will be colder, I live in Montana. I am a six foot male and about 150lb. Thanks for your help

10:44 a.m. on October 26, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

Borrowing your friend's gear was a good first step. What did you like/dislike about it? Were you cold/warm in the clothing/sleeping bag/tent you used? Was the pack you used too big/small/just right in fit and capacity and comfort? That will give you a good idea of what you want to look for in the gear you get yourself.

Lots of posts on this forum about gear. First thing is proper boots. Make sure they fit properly, which means go to a good store that really knows boots. I think there are a couple in Missoula, if that's close. I got lots of ideas from the posts here, like from Jim S, Ed G, Les, Bill S, others. Best idea I remember was don't get everything at once. Do a lot of borrowing and asking questions and looking at what others have.

6:06 p.m. on October 26, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

Thanks for your help. I will look further into different eqipment that I will need.

7:48 p.m. on October 26, 2004 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Spend money where its needed, scrimp where you can. The less you buy, the less you have to carry. Thats said:
Will you be camping alone or will you be with friends? I'll bet that if you brought some core gear, your friends would have spares to loan you of other items. So personal gear you will want:
boots
clothes - and don't spend a lot at first
sleeping bag - get a nice one
backpack - external frames are strong and pretty light and you can carry huge things in them - like fire wood or salmon.
You probably have a pocket knife and a flashlight and hat and gloves.
your friends can loan stoves and pads and stuff.
The more you go, the more you will know about what you want.
Jim S (:->)

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply