Kelty Tioga Extension Bar Help

2:52 p.m. on December 31, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hello members, I am brand new to the site today and this is my first post. I have just purchased a vintage Kelty Tioga (blue color) pack and it's on its way to me today from an Ebay store. I found one that is in excellent condition with no problems. The only thing I wish it had was the extension bar at the top of the frame to attach my tent. Can I add one to this 1970ish era pack? If so, any recommendations on how to get one? And if I can't add one to it, is there still a way to attach me tent since the sleeping bag will go on the bottom of the frame. I could have found other Tiogas with the extension, but I fell in love with this extremely clean and flawless pack. Thank you for your help.

5:00 p.m. on December 31, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
64 forum posts

With my old Jansport external frame I used the top frame to carry my sleeping pad.There was enough room to put my tent on top of the sleeping bag between the bag and the pack using the same straps.Better to have that weight under more control than on top of your pack.

5:31 p.m. on December 31, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thank you Whistlestop, that does make sense. I think there will be room on this pack to do the same with putting the tent above the sleeping bag on the bottom straps of the frame.

4:25 p.m. on January 10, 2010 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

Hi Glider18,

I also have a Kelty pack. I am not sure which one you purchased. My Kelty Tioga has strap points at the top of the pack. You can also extend the frame on my pack. Here is a link to a youtube review. I purchased the pack base on this review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynIlrp3r_zY

8:07 p.m. on January 12, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,303 forum posts

Hmmm, when I did volunteer work for the Applachian Mountain Club back in the late 1970's, packing heavy loads up to shelter sites, they were quite adamant that it was "better" to "load high" rather than have the weight pulling down from the bottom.

Ever since then I've packed my tent at the top of my pack. I have a legacy Kelty D4 (which I think is smaller than the Tioga) and I have the optional extension bar on top. I also strap on my (fairly heavy, 5lbs with ball head???) Bogen tripod up top, and the sleeping bag & pad go down below.

This is what it looks like:

http://bh.org/images/_DSC7269.jpg

1:08 a.m. on February 25, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

bheiser1

you are correct in putting heavy items as high as you can. the higher it is the less you have to lean forward to put the weight direclty over your center. this is for walking only. if you are skiing with a pack you want the heavy items as low as you can get them to keep your center of gravity as low as possible. on your kelty you can even lower the packbag to facilatiate keeping things low.

glider18

you should be able to get a new extension from kelty, call their customer service number. or check the local good will's or craigslist and you might be able to pick up an extra pack with the externsion for parts, for less than a new extension would cost. the one you probablly need is for a massif frame if you could post a pix someone here a can give you a definate on that.

1:30 a.m. on March 17, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Glider:
Contact Kelty, they service many of their discontinued items. They may have your cargo bar. I can still get replacement shoulder/hip straps from the factory for my 1970s Sonora pack.

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply