Cheesehead Saying Hello!

1:23 a.m. on January 13, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

A man from the Title Town (Green Bay) area is new here, so I'm saying hello!

So college and my basketball career are over and I am an outdoor sports enthusiast and backpacking and backcountry camping is my calling to stay in shape, see the world and make my life exciting!

This last summer I went to Yellowstone National Park and stayed at the public campgrounds, but am yearning to get on the back trails and camp out in the wilderness.

I have just purchased a basic 5 pound Eureka! tent for 2 and am excited to get my feet wet at Wisconsin State and National parks. I figure 3 or 4 day treks will get me ready.

So I'm not real rich yet, so I'm beginning to assemble my gear for future expeditions to various places on this fine planet! Any advice for a novice will be excellent and hopefully I can make some informative posts eventually as well.

Oh and no Packer jokes, I'm well aware we lost. I'm sure the depression rate in Wisconsin has just rose %100. ;)

1:00 p.m. on January 13, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

You have some good parks in WI, though most are car-camping. There are several multi-day trail hikes available, a couple of which I have hiked with my son. who lives in Madison. The ones up north have been the most interesting to me.

1:07 p.m. on January 13, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

When I lived in downstate Illinois, a Wisconsin-born co-worker complained that we never got real winters there -- the snow always melted or blew away, whereas up in Wisconsin, the snow came in November and stayed till spring, which meant you had viable winter recreation options.

Best thing about winter: no bugs. Also: Since Wisconsin's not mountainous (though admittedly pretty hilly in places), cross-country ski camping is a far more accessible concept than it might be in other parts of the country.

You don't have to wait till summer.

7:28 p.m. on January 13, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace. You will learn alot here. I have. Which Eureka did ya get?

12:21 a.m. on January 15, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

I got the Apex 2. Cabela's was having a $20 off sale if you buy $100 of stuff. So it was a nice buy I think. I'm a review junkie and saw very positive reviews of the product, so I rolled with it.

Thanks everyone for the welcome, looking forward to it.

9:44 a.m. on January 15, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

Hi there,

I'm also a new member, but I'm currently a FIB living in Chicago. I'm sure you'll find plenty of great information here. I've been lurking for a while and am really impressed with the experience and knowledge of the members on this site.

I grew up in and near Green Bay and then lived in Madison for three years before returning to the flatlands. But lately, as I've gotten more into the outdoors, I've been going up to WI quite a bit. When I was in High School I did a lot of cross-country skiing in the woods in Oconto County (I lived in Abrams on County D for a while, maybe you know where that is). This summer I made a few trips to scuba dive in Wazee Lake near Black River Falls, also a nice area. I hope to combine diving with camping once I get my act together.

tommangan makes a good point--I'm a bit frustrated at the snow situation down here myself. I have a nice new pair of snowshoes I'm dying to try but nowhere to use them. (I haven't been able to get to Devil's Lake because of other obligations.) It's a shame that I'm so far from northern Wisconsin and the UP.

Anyway, enjoy your state, its definitely not a boring place to be. There is a lot of fun to be had winter or summer, on the cheap too. Sorry, though, I stopped following sports after I moved into Bear country. I do carry my pepper spray though ;-)

--Peter

9:24 p.m. on January 15, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Aren't those Bears down in Illinois such a pain?

Especially when that particular species of animal drives a car. Haha!

11:02 p.m. on January 15, 2010 (EST)
15 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

Omg I miss running around Wisconsin!

11:17 p.m. on January 15, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Hi Porterwake & peter o

Welcome.

My advise would be to get around some knowledgeable backpacking folks, hiking clubs are a good way to do this. Most hiking clubs I've hiked with usually meet at least one or two days a month for scheduled hikes and over nighters. This is a great way to meet others and learn about gear and technique.

A quick Google search turned up the Wisconsin Hiking Club in the Milwaukee area.

http://wisconsingohiking.homestead.com/

You could contact this club and I'm sure they could help you out with stuff in the Green Bay area.

Also...

Get a book or two on the subject such as, The Complete Walker by Collin Fletcher.

Stay plugged into Trailspace, you can learn a lot here.

Happy trails.

11:33 p.m. on January 15, 2010 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

As a former GB man myself, the greatest thing I ever did was move to Montana. It's a great place to work out your wanderlust. For backpacking in seemingly endless wilderness, you can't beat it in the lower 48, unless maybe if you go next door to Idaho. My wife and I quit our jobs and backpacked the northwest for three months before settling down in Missoula. I highly recommend that gameplan if you're passionate about wilderness and backpacking. It was infinitely worth the hardship of settling down in a new place and trying to make it go again. I roamed the northwoods of WI and the UP for many years. Favorite spots: Craig Lake state park in da UP for canoeing, excellent walleye and crappie fishing, and a loop around the lake (home of wolves, bears, lynx, bobcats and rare UP moose), Whisker Lake wilderness & Lauterman trail (approx. 30 miles round trip to hike it from Chimpmunk rapids to Whisker Lake Wilderness) just East of Tipler off Hwy. 70, the Porkies, really anywhere between Hwy. 139 to 55 and west towards Eagle River along 70 west is pretty rugged. Not much for trails, but lots of hardwood ridges to chase and bogs to skirt around. A few gated roads off of Thrasher Rd. (FR 2169) and Holt Rd. off 70 west are great for grouse hunting and hiking. Not many people in that neck of the woods. If you're in to that sort of thing, you'll love it. Also, a good place to get a feel for backpacking is Isle Royale, which is easy to get to from the Midwest but a expedition from anywhere else in the country. That place is amazing! That's a must see in fall, especially since its so close to GB (relatively speaking). The boat ride from Houghton, or the sea plane, is an experience in itself. Nothing like getting on a plane, flying a half hour, and being dropped off on an island wilderness in the largest freshwater lake (by surface area I think?) in the world. Dude, I still love Wisconsin and the U.P. Check out the Tipler area if you feel the need for some solitude. Lost Lake during the week in summer is still one of my favorite places in the world.

4:56 p.m. on January 16, 2010 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

Good to see another newbie from Wisconsin here. I'm a newbie from Milwaukee.

8:53 p.m. on February 2, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Go Badgers. Go Vikings Sorry I'm a Brett Favre Fan. I'm new and havn't been on the trail yet other than camping. Peter O Devils Lake and Owen lake are great diving lakes. Copper Falls is a great place.

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply