Shoes?

7:42 p.m. on January 25, 2010 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Hey all, I've had the merrel chamelon hex now for over a year and absolutley love them. Just wondering is there a better shoe for day hikes/everday/and light rock climbimg. I dont mean rock climbing with all the gear. just small rock faces that you just feel you need to climb.

8:38 p.m. on January 25, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

Not for my money there isn't. I've been beating hell out of both the low and mid chameleon evo's for more than a year and so long as it ain't raining the only other thing on my feet is my socks.

Drake

9:38 p.m. on January 25, 2010 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Well thats good to hear. I have no complaints about these shoes what so ever. I was even at my buddies lake house this weekend and the lake was frozen so we went out on it (yes we had a rope tied to his dock incase it gave way.) and he was sliding all over I can honestly say they even gave good grip on ice for shoes. if i wanted to make them slide they would but normally walking they wouldn't. Even thogh the ice seemed a little dirty like there was a little more traction then normal ice it was still ice.

2:56 a.m. on January 26, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Chameleon stretch....as long as you are in "dry" climates.

7:27 p.m. on January 26, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

Haven't had the problem of "stretch" even after a fair number of stream crossings. 'Course I agree that these shoes are better suited for mild conditions; when it's wet and nasty, like now, I wear a pair of 5 year old Raichle's. Just common sense, pick the right tool for the job and so forth.

Leather clod hoppers do not stretch.

The Evo's are a much better shoe than rest of the Merrel line in my opinion. The Moab for example. Had a pair, done that, the pair I bought looked like a dog toy within a month of use, might as well have been barefoot for all the protection the non-sole provided and the heel cup came apart like, really, a cheap suit. Terrible shoes, just absolutely terrible. They sure were Ventilators alright, ventilated through the bottom.

Whatever. I like my Evo's and I sure will be sad when Merrell stops makin' 'em, which they will of course mainly because I like 'em. Besides, I figure Merrell couldn't possibly be making money on anything I would buy.

And they never go on sale. Of course not. Sure sign that they're too expensive to produce. Unlike the Moab, which by my reckoning might cost upwards of $3.50 a pair, landed Los Angeles.

Drake

12:01 a.m. on February 7, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

I know I'm late posting to this but I noticed that the initial question wasn't answered.

seven said:

Just wondering is there a better shoe for day hikes/everday/and light rock climbimg. I dont mean rock climbing with all the gear. just small rock faces that you just feel you need to climb.

I have had great success with a pair of Merrell approach shoes, not to sure what type. I picked them up at an outlet store for $50 but I have enjoyed them so much I'd easily spend $150 on a similar pair now that I found such a versatile shoe.

The toe is shaped like a rock climbing shoe the rest of the sole is traction. It has a metal shank for hiking with a light load. I have worn mine every weekend for the past three years and have hiked all over. I have not worried about wanting to do a little rock climbing in the either you have a surprising amount of control with them still.

In short I think an approach shoe would help you out in your foot ware needs.

1:36 p.m. on February 7, 2010 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

I'm with Drake, I'd wear my Raichle's on rock, but then I have climbed 5.7 friction on dry rock in them.

Jim

12:56 p.m. on February 25, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I have had excellent all around experiences with my Salomon XA Pro's. I have owned this model for over 8 years (three different pairs) and use them for everything from trail running, road running, light hikes, scrambling, and as everyday street wear. Prices can get steep so I just usually wait until the new year models come out and purchase the past years at a discount price.

For all around durability, comfort, fit and versatility I only wear Salomon footwear.

Hope that helps.

Ken

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply