Fishing!

11:30 p.m. on January 26, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Hey all, I've been reading here for a little bit now, and finally wanted to join since my Texas weather is starting to get just right! But I've thought of a problem...

So for all those who like to settle down to, or even try to survive off what they catch, what do you do when it comes to fishing? I fly fish, which would be easy to just put in my Kelty's straps at the very bottom... I do fear it will fall out, which is a scary thought because i've got an orvis! considering that when the bottom is full there might be enough tension to hold it properly? any thoughts(its a 4 piece 9ft (zero gravity saltwater 8wt if anyone wants to know))?

But with fly fishing you can't always get in the water, or do not have enough room behind you to fly fish, so what do I do for the conventional rod and reel? any good collapsible fishing poles recommended?

Also lures! How do you minimize your box for maximum lures/hooks? Any boxes recommended?

Any other tips or tricks you have, I'd be glad to read em!

12:13 a.m. on January 27, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

This is not coming from personal experience but in thinking weight reduction and space saving, maybe try a daily medication organizer for the tackle. Just a thought. Also I have seen quite a few collapsible rods at various stores but I have no idea where they range in weight. I have a collapsible Shakespear that might weigh half a pound including the reel. Hope this helps.

6:59 a.m. on January 27, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Welcome MikeyBob365,

I've been backpack fishing for about 20 years now, I don't know everything, but I will be glad to help you out with those problems, plus steer you to websites that deal with those very things.

I've got to go to work right now but I'll post this afternoon.

How's your roll cast?

2:39 p.m. on January 27, 2010 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts
3:47 p.m. on January 27, 2010 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

To minimize the gear you carry go with a couple of your favorite spinners but mostly work around a fly/bubble set-up.

10:03 p.m. on January 27, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

MikeyBob365,

Your in Texas, sounds like you're in the coastal region.

Two things real quick, first, I have no experience fishing in Texas & second, I have very little experience in salt water. First time I caught a stingray I thought it was a big flounder for a bit.

I am not a sport fisherman, I eat what I catch, if I get skunked I still have a great time just being there. For me being there and soaking it all in is a tranquility thing. I use both fly rod and spinning rod, I do not suffer from the 'self flyghteousness' that afflicts some anglers.

I almost exclusively fish mountain streams & tail-waters in the Southern Appalachians. That precludes me from giving you any substantial advise on technique or lures in your area on salt water, beware of anyone who will not admit that.

But to touch on the things we would have in common such as packing your stuff in to those areas, or being limited by tight spots, tackle boxes, etc. I can tell you what I and others do, that does not mean it will be the best approach for you, by gaining some experience you will discover what works best for you.

Pole selection -

I prefer 4-5 piece rods mated to a quality reel, not necessarily the best money can buy, but smooth & quiet, especially for small streams. At a certain point you are wasting your money on high end rods, in my opinion.

Getting there -

I use good rods, I pack them in a rod tube for protection. You can buy these, or make your own with materials from the hardware store. Most people place the rod tube on the outside of their pack, most packs have a sleeve on each side for such things. Reels go in the pack, it is best to keep reels & line out of the weather. Yeah...I know it's made for water, but rain can wash out the reels lube and wash dirt in, also UV rays are not good for fishing line.

Terrain troubles -

Okay, so you just hiked in 12 miles to this great spot, and the entire bank is grown thick as a brick wall, you have no room for a back cast. You are going to have to get off the bank with a fly rod, at least a little bit, even to use Roll Casts or Side Casts, or you can switch to a spinning rod. This is a matter of technique, you can't learn this from my post, you need someone to show you, or at least watch this on a video. Then go practice.

Gear -

I have a very simple approach, take only the very basics on backpacking trips! Long before the mountain of gear we have available today, people were catching fish with rudimentary gear. It's about technique, tactics, and experience. You do not need to bring along a huge assortment of tackle, it may feel reassuring to you, but not necessary. I do not pack a fishing vest, or a large tackle box full of goodies. I carry only a handful of flies, two leaders, one pair of forceps, fingernail clippers, plus a few other items. It all fits into a 4.00 pocket size tackle box available from Wal-mart. Same for spin fishing. I wear a Columbia fishing shirt, the kind with 4 pockets, and that holds all my stuff. I have a lanyard on my tackle box that slips over my shoulder or can clip to my shirt.

What ever your needs are, really try to keep it simple & and in a compact package, your skill will win the day not necessarily a crap load of fishing gear!

Here are a couple links:

http://www.texasflyfishing.com/

http://www.flyfishingtexas.com/

Best of luck to you, go out with a fishing guide if at all possible.

10:34 p.m. on January 27, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Thank you all for your responses especially you trouthunter for that lengthy piece! An FYI I am around the hill country, I just bought the saltwater rated rod for when I do go to the bays-which I hope to camp out at this summer!

And thanks for the advice on the spinning rods, cause there are many instances when you cannot catch a thing on the fly! and yes i have a pure false casting look on things, mainly because my roll cast is so weak!

But I will be going for catfish, considering how many there are in the Guadalupe, and how large they can get! so i'm guessing a few stinkbait nuggets, catch some bugs if i want to use perch as bait, and bring along minimal lures for bass catching fun.

Thanks all again!

p.s. trouthunter, if you ever have a question on flyfishing, check out http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/, great guys always who always help me, they could probably help you find some great spots to visit, even if its purely recreational! wouldn't mention the eating what you catch, if what you catch is trout! They might be a little offended! I'm there under the same name.

10:58 p.m. on January 27, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

MikeyBob365,

I'm familiar with theflyfishingforum, thanks for posting that link.

Catfish huh, we have catfish the size of refrigerators in our local lake, I haven't caught one, but the divers are scared! I'm just now learning how to catch them off one of the little islands we camp on sometimes. Lazy fishing I'll say, but good for hanging out with buddies.

While Trout conservation is very important to me, I try my best to fish in areas that see very little, to no other fishermen. I don't care much about fishing in C&R trophy waters. The 'high brow' C&R flyfishermen mean well, and are correct to a point, but might be surprised to find out about the high numbers of trout in very remote streams. That being said, it is very important to protect the trout fisheries we have, and to invest in our natural resources. The biggest problem is too many people fishing right now. Not sure what that says about me! A huge problem we have in my region is trout waters that have been polluted by acid mine runoff caused by coal mine activity in the past, to present.

Many of these areas are just now recovering!

I would add that in many areas where trout are stocked, the water temps during the summer are so high that holdover trout (the ones that live past the summer) are few, it has no impact on the trout population to harvest a few fish. Natural trout streams are a different story. One of my favorite trout streams stocks several thousand trout twice a year, the locals harvest the fish as part of their diet. In other areas where the trout populations are struggling they do volunteer work planting shade bushes along the banks to help keep the water temps down during the summer.

It's important to have a balanced view, don't just swallow anything that comes along! (fishing joke)

11:33 p.m. on January 27, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

I completely understand what you're getting at, here at the Guadalupe, our trout or stocked, yes, but they only live til about February... so we have sections where it is catch and release (bigger fish are usually released there) and we also have limitless catch areas! So its not that big of a deal here to take 'em when they'll just die in a month or two anyhow.

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply