About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

"Skeleton" setup

12:08 a.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
18 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

So I'm not really a beginner, but I have always wondered about, and never tried, using my tent skeleton setup in the rain (just a footprint, pole, and fly). i am looking for people with experience with this to share a little info and expertise.

Bad idea with a very small tent like the msr hubba?

do you get puddles on the footprint?

has it worked well for you?

tips? tricks?

is it even worth carrying? are two tarps better?

any comment you can think of?

12:30 a.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Dash

I do not own a Hubba, and I do not own a footprint, but if you are going out in weather where wind could blow rain or snow under it, you should have a water proof sleeping bag or a bivy sack. In the event that rain could blow under it, I would prefer to not have a groundcloth so the rain would have someplace to go, but then I would fer sure want a waterproof bag set-up. hope that helps. Does the fly go to the ground? Will you be below the tree line? It might work better in a protected location.

Jim S

7:44 a.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

I have done this is fair weather on the coastal plain of SC , if rain is a possibility at all I carry the whole tent, which is most of the time here in the mountains.

12:38 a.m. on January 29, 2010 (EST)
18 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

cool thanks, the fly doesn't go to the ground, so I was wondering about things like that, the bathtub seems essential to full weather protection, and is easier than the other waterproof setup, but maybe ill try it one of these days on a shorter trip with a bigger tent.

Thanks!

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply