rain gear for dogs

2:54 p.m. on February 18, 2010 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Hi all! This is my first post on here, though I do have some experience (not a lot) with day hiking. Just thought I would take a moment to say hello before I ask my question so "Hello!" :)

I am looking for some type of rain coat for my dog to wear when we are hiking in wet weather. She is a lab/aussie mix and tends to run hot so I do not want something with a lot of insulation. However, I would like to find something that will keep her dry when we are hiking in the rain so that her pack does not create hot spots/rubbing when her fur and skin is wet. I thought about cutting up a garbage bag to use as a rain cover for her, but it is not breathable, so I don't think that's a good idea. Does anyone know of something light weight and breathable that is made for dogs? How about ideas for how I could make something myself at home? Thanks!

2:59 p.m. on February 18, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

If you haven't already, take look through our list of dog gear.

12:57 p.m. on February 19, 2010 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Thanks for the suggestion Tom. I did take a quick look before I posted, but apparently I missed this one http://www.trailspace.com/gear/ruff-wear/sun-shower/

It looks almost perfect. Thank god the hood is detachable, my dog would not like that. I'm worried the leg holes might be too big allowing rain to get in where the pack straps would go. Does anyone have experience with this one? Also, asside from this site and store sites, where are some good places to look for product reviews?

The cloud chaser looks good too, but I'm worried it will be too warm. Maybe I will have to just use the tried and true method of trial and error for this one.

5:59 p.m. on February 19, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Good question....

I've been hiking with my dog for a number of years and have tried a couple sweaters and stuff in the past, since my dog is a northern breed with a double coat I'm convinced they're not necessary for my dog although I do see dogs wearing coats & rain jackets.

I'm afraid I don't have any DIY solutions, at least none that I have tried myself. I think the Ruff Wear Sun Shower is the way I would go if I had a need for one. Ruff Wear makes good stuff in my experience.

I hope you find what you need and have a lot of fun with your dog!

12:22 p.m. on February 20, 2010 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

I have a Ruff Wear cloud chaser for my dog and after trying many other options, this is the one she wears in cold or rain. Its two years old and shows no wear and the zipper is still working great. Its a softshell and has a part that covers the front half of the bottom of her, so her chest is complately covered and thats the part that moves into wet grass etc.

Jim

3:21 p.m. on February 20, 2010 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Jim:

Does your dog ever get too warm wearing the cloud chaser? We would mostly be using it for above freezing (35-45 F) weather. My dog is fine with nothing extra for warmth as long as it's dry, so I don't want to get something that's going to make her overheat.

Trouthunter:

Does your dog carry his/her own pack when he/she comes with you? Do you take your dog when it's raining? If so, does he/she ever have problems with pack chafing?

We go on fairly long hikes, often when it's raining pretty hard. At this point, I just leave her pack at home if it's raining and let her get wet, but then I have to carry all her water for her, and the extra weight does not help my bad back so I like it better when she has her own pack.

6:07 p.m. on February 20, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

hey coffeehound,

Have you tried spraying the dog with water-proofer? (that's a joke)

Yes, my dog would usually carry his own stuff with a dogpack on 3-5 day trips in the Southern Appalachians, an area which tends to be wet and rainy. I never had much of a problem with the dog chafing unless the pack was adjusted wrong and that was usually at the elbows where the pack could rub.

The type of coat a dog has makes a difference of course, my dog has a really thick double coat and light to moderate rains don't seem to bother him, although if I take his pack off he will shake gladly.

He hates getting in creeks though.

I hope you find a product that works for you and your dog, and she can carry her own water.

6:12 p.m. on February 20, 2010 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Chound

My dog is a short hair variety - grey hound and short haired pointer. She has no undercoat, just that stiff slf cleaning hair. Even at 65 degrees she likes to sleep under a towel. About 40 to 45 degrees I start putting a coat on her.

Jim S

6:07 p.m. on March 19, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

A dog who gets wet and cold can't do bad wearing a neoprene hunting dog vest available from places like Cabellas. They are warm and waterproof. http://www.gundogsonline.com/dog-vest/remington-neoprene-dog-vest.html

Neoprene is snug and doesnt rub lile nylon. Hunting dogs do some pretty athletic stuff so the neoprene vests are made for unrestricted movement.

If your dog is fluffy like a husky, don't even bother because their hair is so thick that they are waterproof. Slick coated dogs will deffinately benefit from neoprene. http://www.cabelas.com/p-0020932617586a.shtml

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply