Canister Fuel Availability

8:40 a.m. on March 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I have been told that finding canister fuel along the AT can be a problem. I'm guessing I would need to resupply about every 6-8 days. Since I can't use the PO to forward fuel to my next stop, I will need to buy it along the way. I would appreciate any insight you may have to this issue. Thanks.

6:22 p.m. on March 21, 2010 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Reading some recently written accounts of the AT (Barefoot Sisters et al), I don't recall hearing about difficulty obtaining canisters en route. However, if you take one of the more efficient new (heat exchanger) canister stoves, such as the Primus EtaPackLite, Jetboil Flash or Primus EtaPower EF, you should get further with each canister and make up for the weight of the heat exchangers themselves.

I have seen people on Whiteblaze.net talk about using Pocket-rockets and so on, so I doubt it will be a problem. I recall that white gas/coleman fuel was the most popular fuel but that may well have changed.

A remote canister stove like the Primus Spider (or the new one from Coleman) will be better if you are on the AT in the cold months (you can invert the canister for liquid feed or use available blowtorch canisters which are long, from a hardware shop) with a small weight penalty. There are also plastic feet that don't weigh too much which make the top-sitting burners more stable, and a wind shield that clips on to some top-burners as well.

There are lots of things to consider but you would be best asking the question on Whiteblaze or somewhere like that, for a full answer.

September 3, 2014
Quick Reply