Lets talk stove maintenance.

12:09 a.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Let me start off by saying that I am a new member here but a long time reader. That being said, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I am by all technical means still a beginner though this pertains to maintenance and repair so I was torn as to where I should put it. Either way, I pose to those veteran backpackers a question. How often should you realistically have to do repairs and maintenance on a stove. I recently bought a Snowpeak Giga Power Stove with Piezo Ignitor (http://www.rei.com/product/643058) and was curious when would be a good time frame to do such things as replace o-rings, checks seals, check condition of ignitor, etc. Any and all advice and tips are appreciated.

9:41 a.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Don't immerse canister stoves while cleaning them, as the soapy water will get into the fuel port, and over time the residue will build up and form a plug that blocks the fuel flow, reducing the stove to a low simmer at best. The residue plug is tough, like hard plastic, and cannot be dislodged.
This happened to an MSR superfly I owned. Could not determine why the stove misbehaved, so I did an autopsy and discovered the residue plug.
Ed

9:46 a.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Appreciate the advice but I had no intention of ever submersing a delicate piece of machinery like a stove fully into water. I can see many different kinds of hazards associated with that.

3:14 p.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,497 forum posts

Welcome Aaron L,

I can't advise on maintenance of the Giga Power, but with stoves in general, checking the O-rings, etc. during assembly (keep spares with you) is important to prevent leaks during use, but you probably already know that. I see some people just yank the stove out and get it set up like it's a race, it is wise to slow down just long enough to make sure you have no leaks. Ask me how I know!

I usually give my stove, an MSR Whisperlite, the once over every year, it has been very reliable, and mine is now 14 years old.

I'm sure one of the other guys could give you info specific to the Giga. I have not seen any maintenance info on the Snow Peak site, maybe I did not look hard enough.

Good question though.

3:34 p.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Thanks trouthunter, I had heard that once a year is a good time frame to do basic check ups on all your gear so I think I'll try that. Do you by chance know where I could find replacement o-rings for stoves in general? (for the Snowpeak stove I own specifically if possible)

5:02 p.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,497 forum posts

I know both MSR & Snow Peak sell maintenance kits for their stoves.

You can also purchase O-rings at hardware and auto parts stores.You just have to make sure they are approved for use with fuels.

Here is a link for a kit:

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Snow-Peak-GigaPower-Stove-Maintenance-Kit/SNO0026M.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=SNO0026&mv_pc=r126

9:46 a.m. on April 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Awesome, thanks again.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply