1973 Browning Wind River Tent

5:09 p.m. on April 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Hi All! I just bought this tent at a yardsale. I was intrigued by the pic on the box. It seems to be unused and maybe never taken out of the box. I am trying to get more info on it. Browning has none! Anyone have any ideas on where to get more info on this product? Thank you!

10:12 p.m. on April 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Can you post a photo? The tent will likely be in copies of old Backpacker magazines. Go to google book and search all issues of Backpacker magazine for "browing tent" and you will likely turn up something.

11:10 a.m. on April 27, 2010 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts
4:06 p.m. on April 27, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

1973 Browning Wind River Tent...I contacted Browning here in the states and they had no info. I also contacted Slumberjack via Browning and they too had no idea...I have written to a place in Canada and am awaiting a hopeful response. Thanks for the help!

10:31 p.m. on April 27, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I've never seen any of the gear in the flesh, just the ads and reviews in magazines, basically what Cleric referenced. An interesting tent you found.

10:38 p.m. on April 27, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Wow that's cool, I love finding classic or vintage gear. That would extend to all kinds of things really, radios, kitchen ware, tools, etc.

Quite a find there, I hope you can find the info you seek. Is Slumberjack the manufacturer?

12:11 p.m. on April 28, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thank you for the responses :) Browning is the manufacturer. I can't find any info in the Backpacker magazine or anywhere else...so frustrating. The front extension has a very large zipper that must have gone to an add on or possibly a wind break. Just wish I could find something to reference it to!

1:20 p.m. on April 28, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

I bet it zips up to another Wind River, and shares a common center pole...

11:04 p.m. on April 30, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thanks to all who responded.

Yeah we were thinking that it zipped to another tent or maybe a small addition of sorts. Still can't find any info about it.

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply