Tent Pole Bending

1:16 p.m. on May 12, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

My family took my Kelty Mantra 7 and was unable to put up the tent without bending the poles. Ouch! It's 6 feet and still stands tall. Any suggestion for enabling weaker and smaller persons to stand up 6 feet tall & large tents without bending the poles? Thanks!

It may be my last large tent as the winds at Flamingo (ENP) blew it completely over last month. I sure did like standing up straight though.

3:22 p.m. on May 12, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

well when I single handedly set up my 8 man alaskan guide tent, i have to stake it first, set one end of a pole over the peg the grab the center of the tent material to pull the pole partly taught then peg the other end. After that the rest of the poles go in easy without over bending.

10:17 p.m. on May 12, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

we have that same kelty mantra, and have learned that the easiest way to set it up it so slide both end to end (dome?) poles in at the same time while laying flat. than bend both ends of one pole into place at the same time. repeat on the other side. this way takes all the stress off the poles and makes it waaaayyyy easier to insert the keys into the end of the poles

hope that helps

12:48 a.m. on May 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

This might really help. I don't have a problem with this but it might really help the family when I'm not around. Curiously - I wonder if there is really less stress on the pole or does it seem so because their are two people sharing the stress from either side? Just a thought but we'll try your idea. I can only afford an $85 dollar (for 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 black) pole replacement so many times. Thanks!

November 29, 2014
Quick Reply