New to Backpacking and need a pack

5:13 p.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

i live in Texas and will be doing most of my hiking here. it gets pretty hot during the summer, but that will not slow me down. i have camped my whole life and hiked around when camping. now that i am older i want to put the two activities together. i will spend 3-4 day on the trail most of the time. whats a good size pack for that length. if i go with friends and family i will caring most of the heavy equipment. also, i want a pack that can carry everything i will need for a solo trip. pretty much i am wondering what a good pack is and what to look for in a pack.

6:06 p.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace!

When making a decision on a pack, I like to visit my local shop and try packs on to see how they fit me. Have also been guilty of taking a box of stuff (sleeping bag, mat, stove, camera and lenses, etc.) with me to see how things fit into it. I'm under the impression most shops welcome this. I know my local Backwoods does.

3-4 day outings are what I like doing. I can carry a decent load if necessary with my Kelty Coyote 4750. I'm looking at something a little smaller now for summer excursions.

7:52 p.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

+1 on the Kelty Coyote 4750

I absolutely love mine. I usually carry alot of my wifes gear and when I am carrying 40-50 lbs it feels like I am barely carrying weight. It also works great for long solo trips, or for winter trips where more gear is required.

8:15 p.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

I just picked one up for 2.00 let me know if interested external frame 2plus shipping

10:25 p.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

any others

12:33 a.m. on June 2, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I use an external frame pack for three season, on trail trips, because they carry heavier loads more comfortably. Mine is an old Kelty, about 4200 cu in, a good size for multi day hiking trips in the sierras, where one needs to take more clothing layers because the weather can be cooler up high, and inclement even in summer. If your destinations are warmer, you won’t need that much space. Then again if you are muling more than your share you might go with the biggest external frame available that fits properly.

Ed

9:46 p.m. on June 2, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

well thanks i got a north face terra 60

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply