Where to put Trekking poles

12:56 p.m. on June 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

I love using my poles when I backpack. However I was wondering where or how to attach them to (or in) the pack when I do not need them because I am busy climbing rocks. It seems pointless to use them when all they do at that point is scratch and ruin the rocks. My pack has straps that claim to hold them but all they do is swing around the back of the pack and get on my nerves. Any help would be mucho appreciated. (btw my pack is TNF Terra 60 if that helps)

1:05 p.m. on June 26, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts

One of my climbing packs has slits in the ice ax straps, through which you place the tips. Then the upper part of the pole is fastened in place just as you do with an ice ax.

On packs that are intended for backcountry skiing and have straps for the skis, it is pretty obvious. On many climbing packs, there are pockets for wands, so you just use those. On packs with a shovel pocket, it is also obvious - use the shovel pocket and handle strap just as you would a shovel. If the pack has a daisy chain, use that.

Partly, this says - think about your poles when picking a pack, just as you would any other feature. Basically, all you need for the outside of the pack is 2 attachment points. With a basic day pack with no external fastening points, I just collapse the poles (you do have adjustable poles, don't you), and shove them handle end first, baskets up, into the pack.

Whatever works, do it.

1:44 p.m. on June 26, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I carry mine under my compression straps on the side of my pack when I collapse them they fit very nicely and they don't swing around I hate my gear bounces and swings too.

9:11 p.m. on June 26, 2010 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

If you do use the ice ax loops, put the tip end through the loop until it catches on the basket. Then turn the pole in a couple of circles before tying the staff of the pole to your pack. This action will tighten the ax loop around your pole end, so that it won't slip out or down.

9:11 a.m. on June 28, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
685 reviewer rep
3,104 forum posts

Also, there are some newer packs with specific bungees to hold your poles without removing your pack. Osprey calls them "Stow-and-Go."

My slightly older Osprey packs don't have them, but I always seem to have a side pocket with compression straps to use, which works fine. I've also used ice ax loops and tool pockets (on an older BD Ice pack).

I think that if you collapse your poles fully and use the various straps at your disposal they should be secure.

Do you have a picture to show how they're flopping around on your pack?

12:20 p.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

If needed, you could purchase some 1 inch nylon cinches and attach them around the bottom if your pack has some fixed loops to attach them to. Also, as a last resort if your pack has an adjustable lid, you could put them under the lid and cinch it down, but this might prove to be awkward.

DJ

2:33 p.m. on July 10, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Thanks for the info!

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply