Need a 1 person tent under 150

3:48 p.m. on July 29, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Hi, ive been looking around for a good 1 person tent for backpacking. Im thinking about the Eureka Spitfire 1. Is there anything else you would recommend. Also want a good sleeping pad, but not sure whether to get a self inflating or foam pad. Im new to solo backpacking. Thanks, Shane

4:18 p.m. on July 29, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Welcome to the forum Shane.

I was looking for a tent last November and only had $140.00 to spend. Came very close to getting that tent. It was on my short list. Ended up getting something with a little more floor space so I felt less cramped if stuck in it during fowl weather. Bought the Alps Mountaineering Mystique 2. I don't mind the extra 2 lbs for something a little bigger.

My old bones appreciate self inflaters, especially since I sleep on my side. I slept on the thin foam pads when younger with no problems.

5:00 p.m. on July 29, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

A real good friend of mine bought a small outfitter out and has brand new Kelty 2man 3 season tents for sale here in the st.louis MO area. I just bought the Grand Mesa 2 from her last week. It weighs 4lbs and some ounces comes with full rain fly and stuff sack. She has some other small Kelty backpacking tents as well. Email me at dennis.m.woods@monsanto.com if your interested and i can give you her contact info as she has some on ebay and craigslist and does send them around the country.

7:42 p.m. on July 29, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Also consider:

Sierra Designs Lightyear 1

Mountain Hardware Sprite 1

As far as a pad goes I still use a closed cell foam pad. Sleeping on the ground has never bothered me, and in fact I spent many years taking daily naps on a stack of plywood at work. Sometimes I worked too.

Welcome to the site Shane, I hope you find just the right stuff you need.

8:29 p.m. on July 29, 2010 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Look at some 2 person tents too. Most are a little small for two, but give one much more room. There are many on the market. Dont look at price at first. Once you find the style that you like, then go hunting for the price that you want. The one in my avatar is very similar to TNF tadpole but $100 less.

1:09 a.m. on July 30, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

A real good friend of mine bought a small outfitter out and has brand new Kelty 2man 3 season tents for sale here in the st.louis MO area. I just bought the Grand Mesa 2 from her last week. It weighs 4lbs and some ounces comes with full rain fly and stuff sack. She has some other small Kelty backpacking tents as well. Email me at dennis.m.woods@monsanto.com if your interested and i can give you her contact info as she has some on ebay and craigslist and does send them around the country.

Thank you i wil definitely check that out.

Thanks for all the info, ill be doing some research.

1:48 p.m. on August 6, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

If saving up a little more is an option, I'd consider a Tarptent Moment, Contrail, or Rainbow.

Start with a Ridgerest pad. I actually find it more comfortable than a Prolite inflatable. If it doesn't work, look at the thicker inflatables, which don't include the Prolites. I'm fine with a 3/4 length pad with my pack under my lower legs.

For winter and when I don't mind carrying the extra weight, I like the Exped Downmat 7.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply