Sailing

12:03 p.m. on February 11, 2011 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,349 forum posts

Rasouth,

What is it ike to sail inthe ocean? I have thought I might like to try this. How long have you been doing it? Do you own the boat or rent?

8:12 p.m. on February 12, 2011 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

I have a dream of owning a boat. If I don't end up moving to CO and end up in Tampa, I'm buying a sail boat. 

I don't think there could be a better fit for an outdoors man. Think about this, jumping in your boat and sailing to new places to go ashore and explore.

Maybe I just have a romantic view of it. =)

10:34 a.m. on February 13, 2011 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

Check out slip fees these days. It's crazy what people are charging.

12:01 p.m. on February 13, 2011 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,349 forum posts

I have thought about boating on Lake Powell in northern Arizona. It has over 2000 miles of shoreline. Being I have never learned to drive a car, learning to operate a motor boats seems like it would be easier. There are so many side canyons to Lake Powell. Including one that leads to Rainbow Bridge.

rainbow-bridge-off-lake-powell.jpg

When Lake Powell is full to capacity the water rises all the way to under Rainbow Bridge.

Lake-Powell-with-the-Kaiparowits-Plateau

Lake Powell upper east side. Thats the Kaiparowits Plateau (at 7200 feet)in the middle coming diagonally from the upper left. The canyons of the Escalante is to its NE. Navajo Mountian is the round green bumb lower right (rises 10,000 feet+) with the San Juan River entering horizonally from the right.

7:36 p.m. on February 13, 2011 (EST)
29 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

ALL-045.jpg
I've been sailing for about 25 years. I started with a sailing club in LA, renting boats for daysails to the Channel Islands. Lived in Hawaii and Guam for a decade and upgraded to owning my own boat as I was sailing weekly and taking regular overnight trips. Along the way I also did a weeklong bareboat charter in New Zealand -- there's nothing like taking a 747 to a destination like that and spending your vacation on a boat you don't have to repair, varnish, etc.

I've since downsized and have a 21-footer that can be trailered to mountain lakes, but is still sturdy enough for California coastal in settled weather. Sleeping onboard is a bit like camping.

Attached is a photo of the family on our boat at Lake Huntington in the western Sierra. It's a beautiful lake that gets great wind, but is a bit high for power boaters, so it's quiet and perfect for sailing. (I've got nothing against powerboating -- and also own one -- but the experiences don't always mix well.)

BTW: Lake Powell is awesome, but not ideal for sailing because of inconsistent winds. Great place for a runabout or PWC though.

8:22 p.m. on February 13, 2011 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,349 forum posts

What is a runabout and a PWC?

9:10 p.m. on February 13, 2011 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

Sailing is something you either learn to enjoy or you cannot understand why anyone wants to do that.  Sound like backpacking?  In many ways it is.  For example, the weather plays a major role.  Hikers and sailors are very aware of the weather and what is in the forecast because it can effect their days.

The first thing sailors must learn is where the wind is coming from and how that relates to the way the sails are set (trimmed) and the boat is sailed.

Of course, you will learn the terminology: tiller, helm, sheet, trim, head up, head down, halyard, stern, starboard and port, point of sail, tack, jybe, boom....

Camping in the woods is like spending a night on a boat. 

If you can sail a small boat you can sail a big boat. 

Try it.  It can be fun!

11:08 a.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
29 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

Runabout = a small power boat, often with an outboard engine.

PWC = Personal WaterCraft, ie Jetski.

4:01 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Rasouth,

What is it ike to sail inthe ocean? I have thought I might like to try this. How long have you been doing it? Do you own the boat or rent?

Well, to do this is something that could possibly be described like riding the waves of music.  You may not be the band but can roll along in the swang of the rythm.  Seemingly all similar but never the same.

The ocean is vast and to me a wonderful place.  I regularly feel a lot more grounded at sea rather than when on land. Like sand dunes you may never know what is over that next crest though this does present a certain mystery of excitment, wonder and terror - all depending on the conditions. As vast and open as the ocean is there is oftern lots to see.  Not just that every wavelet, wave cap, chop, wave and swell are different There is also an abundant of life above and below the water.  Not always or regularly seen it is there and in time as you become more aware of the signs of life you will spot the occasional, flying fish or tuna fin, birds working a bait fish school is always a good one for extra senery.  Then on the larger scale of sights are wales and pods of dolphins, a delight to almost every eye.

If you do have a chance to try this, sailing / boating, I do suggest to go to Montery on the Californaia Coast and visit the many marine attactions available there both on land, the Monterey Aquarium and on water, a whale watch tour or two.  There is regularly a large number of whales in the area and if you can afford try whale watching at different times of the day. Make it a vacation and stay a week visiting Monterey and the surrounding.

Initially for someone that has not been on the ocean before, to take shorter trips will accustom you to that rythm of the ocean swell.  Some people do have a difficult time with the motion though don't panic if you happen to start feeling adverse.  Some fresh air in your face, eyes up and out to a horizon is always a good start for a better equilibrium of feeling.  The ocean can turn just as with a musical tune from a serene melody to extremely disrupted crescendo.  The ocean can be a very difficult place to find comfort when far from shore if the weather turns bad.  For this reason I suggest staying with easy reach of harbor in any beginnings either ocean or lake when by yourself.

Sailing is a fantastic endeavor.  I have been on the water boating, power and sail since I can not remember, now over thirty years and sometimes as far offshore as any place on the planet.  I have made sailing and boating my occupation both racing yachts, in all aspects of size and competitiveness, as well with personal assistance to owners for vessel management, movement, touring and personal coaching for use alone by the owner possibly without a professional crew.

Just remember a very simple guiding rule, "prepare early".  For boats in the ocean do not have the ability to park under a try when it is raining so hard you can not see, or when the wind comes up and the sea gets rough to stop into a cafe'.  And they do not have brakes either.  Oh yeah, also the road you travel on other than at times being bumpy, sometimes moves under you, like a conveyor belt and under any other land fixed object. Current is a consideration that some do forget.

I applaud you with encouragement to at the least try this.  I do not suggest going and buying a boat without having tried some time on the water yourself.  Start with taking a tour, visit San Francisco and travel on a ferry or two, then maybe down to Monterey for some bigger ocean adventure.  Remember, take a good spray jacket, a camera and enjoy.

4:52 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Unless you intend to boat a lot, rent, don't own.  Boats are vessels you throw money into, yet never seem to fill.

Ed  

5:21 a.m. on March 17, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

that is why they are often called,  hole in the water into which you pour money.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply