New member from New Jersey

4:05 p.m. on March 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Greetings folks,

I thought I would post an intro for myself. First, I am happy to find Trailspace as I am a lightly experienced hiker and I am looking to get into more overnight backpacking. So I look for as much advice as possible. I will be taking one of REI's overnight backpacking classes in May. I figure if I get good instruction to begin with then I will enjoy the experience on my own.

I don't have many people to hike/backpack with in my social circle. My wife wants to come along but due to certain medical issues it's difficult for her to throw a pack on.

If you look at my profile you will see that I like to hike with my dog. He enjoys it and always gets worked up when I pull his pack out (he carries his own food, bowls and other minor supplies - nothing too heavy.)

We've been up to the DWG a few times and only this year have I hiked in the Pines (which is odd since I'm from South Jersey.)

So, I am looking forward to reading the postings from the experienced hikers and backpackers.

Joe

6:49 p.m. on March 25, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace JCollins62.

I'm sure taking classes or joining a hiking club will help you meet new people who share your interests.

Let us know how the class goes, and anything else you care to discuss!

8:39 p.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
118 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Hey Joe,

Welcome to the woods.

I'm up in the North/west corner. I haven't done much hiking in NJ south of South Mountain Reservation in Millburn. Any time I travel further south than that, I mysteriously get pulled east and the only vertical travel I do is below sea level to farther below sea level... I've read about the Pines and there is supposedly a lot of nice stuff there but if I'm in the flat lands I usually take to a canoe. If your inclined to head north I can point you to some of the nice places. Mt. Tammany in DWG is nice but there are much better places further North in the Gap all the way up to Stokes Forest.

This site   http://www.njhiking.com/index.php   has some pretty good resources for local stuff.

You might want to check out the New York/New Jersey Trail conferance  http://www.nynjtc.org/

Their one of the Just the local news that comes from them can be invaluable.

Aside from that, ask away! What do you need to know?

11:01 a.m. on March 29, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Joe!

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply