Daypacks...

8:04 p.m. on March 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

I need to get a daypack, and I can not decide whether I should get one with a frame or not. So...what do you guys think?

1:44 a.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I personally like the frame because it give structure to the pack after I jam things into it that would make the pack [without] frame uncomfortable to wear.  Just my 2 cents.

2:03 a.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

Purpose? Distance? Typical area to hike? Your ten essentials plus ______???? It all depends on how flexible you need your pack to be.  I use mine for airtravel, quick overnighters, and big day hikes...

Work to get the best bang for your buck...

5:46 a.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

I don't care for frames packs on most day hikes.  I often like to use just one strap, alternating from shoulder to shoulder as terrain or shoulder fatigue dictates.  Of course I'll carry it in the standard manner too.  A frame would make the one shoulder carry awkward.  In any case my day packs rarely weigh enough to justify any additional support unless I am carrying a lot of gear (rock climbing) .

Ed

7:44 a.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

I like frames, but then again I like to have the space needed. There are times during the summer usually when it seems overkill because I don't have as much in it as say during the winter. But I carried without frame for years and years then went to a frame daypack two years ago and see a noticeable difference. The weight is distributed a lot better and doesn't shift all over the place on me.

Then again, a lot of times on dayhikes I'll ask someone if they want to go with me and ultimately they come to the trail unprepared and I'll end up carrying some of their stuff as well.

11:35 a.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Buy with a frame, your back will thank you later. Also when you stuff your bag with whatever, you can feel harder materials on parts of your back. These areas of the back will be sore later. For example, a bottle of water will probably leave a reddish bruise shaped like the bottle on your back. I know:(

2:02 p.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

I agree with the majority. I was looking at the Osprey Kestrel 38. Though it is kinda big for a day pack, the extra space would be excellent when I have to carry someone else's stuff, or when traveling.

10:53 p.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I just received a Mountain Hardwear Scrambler today that I ordered. After putting my typical day tripping gear in it I realized I personally like the rigidity of a pack with a frame. Just feels alot more stable on the back for me. The nice thing about a daypack without a frame is you can compress it and pack it in a larger pack for summit pushes, etc. For my purposes a pack with a frame is the way to go. I am sending it back and getting an Osprey Stratos 26. Seems about the perfect size for a daypack for me. Not to mention it has a built in rain cover and can take a 3L bladder. Basically it all depends on what you are going to do with it.

Latitude, they also make the Kestral n a 32L and a 28L if ya think the 38L may be a bit "large."

12:23 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

I was looking at those, but the 28 does not have a frame, and the 32 is a panel loader, and I prefer top loaders.

10:31 a.m. on March 29, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Have ya looked at the Stratos series at all? The 26 is a top loader with a frame.

1:30 p.m. on March 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

I did peek at the stratos, and I was going to go to my local outdoors store to try it on, however, the only knock I have on it from a "features I want" standpoint is that it doesnt have a front stuff pocket.

I want my daypack to have hipbelt pockets, so I can stuff my GPS, snacks and the like in there, and I also want latching points, or somewhere I can stick my trekking poles when I am not using them, and then I was hoping for a stuff pouch on the front, where I can shove jackets and other often used gear.

1:43 p.m. on March 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

If the Talon 33 had a frame, I would be the happiest person in the world.

2:12 p.m. on March 29, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I did peek at the stratos, and I was going to go to my local outdoors store to try it on, however, the only knock I have on it from a "features I want" standpoint is that it doesnt have a front stuff pocket.

I want my daypack to have hipbelt pockets, so I can stuff my GPS, snacks and the like in there, and I also want latching points, or somewhere I can stick my trekking poles when I am not using them, and then I was hoping for a stuff pouch on the front, where I can shove jackets and other often used gear.

Ya may want to consider taking a 2nd look at the Stratos. The Stratos has stuff pockets on both sides of the pack body as well as a larger main pocket on the front(where the lower Osprey emblem is.)

Hipbelt pockets on both sides as well as a sternum harness pocket. It also has a trekking pole attachment(stow on the go.) The main pocket on the front can take a climbing helmet from what I have been told when I was inquiring with retailers. I am waiting for the credit on the MH Scrambler I sent back to snag one up. I took a look at one my friend has and it seems like a really nice pack from what I can see. He swears by his. They were redisigned for 2010 and there are alot of improvements to say the least.

2:17 p.m. on March 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

Rick -- I just checked out the video for the Stratos and it has more features that I am looking for than I initally thought. I am going to go check it out this friday at my local outdoors store :)

2:36 p.m. on March 29, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have been getting mixed responses on the stratos 26 as far as whether or not that is a pocket on the front. So I contacted Osprey and asked. Well its not. They told me that it is not on the 26 and different sizes have different layouts. So now Im just confused. Anywho, Im still grabbing one. The main pocket to me isn't a deal breaker. I can always just wrap my jacket thru the tensioning straps I suppose. There is no such thing as the perfect pack. No matter what gear I have I can alwayys find some fault in it. Just check the different Stratos models. The only place that has them here is REI and they have one in a 30+L. :(

I may buy some elastic cord and one of those squeeze toggles and rig my own webbing to the pack using the side straps on the pack body. Basically just inter weave it from the top down(also removable.) That should take care of that lol.

Also found out my friends isn't a 26 its bigger.

12:29 p.m. on March 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

I stopped in the shop today and tried on a couple of Talons. The 44 has a wire alloy frame, like the Kestrel. However, the 33 and 22 both have a thin sheet of plastic on their back. I like that. Though it is not a true frame, it will protect my back from pokey stuff; and keep stuff a little balanced. I think I might grab the 33.

1:49 p.m. on March 30, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Nice pack with a great warranty.

12:06 a.m. on April 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

I was looking at the specs, the 44 measures 27x10x8, and the 33 24x10x8, which is a little bit longer than what the TSA suggests for their 45 linear inches. They say 22x14x9; Buuuuuut hopefully they wont say anything when I take this pack airport hiking with me this summer :P

12:34 a.m. on April 1, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

From my understanding anything 30L and under is good to go. I may be wrong but that is what I have heard.

10:41 a.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

I have a REI Venturi 30 pack that I've had for a while now and it works great for me!

12:08 p.m. on April 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Something with a frame (external) has always worked best for me.

But, that's ME.

r2

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply