sierra backpacking with fishing

11:55 p.m. on April 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Hi my name is steve,

i am just getting started again as an adult into backpacking and i am looking for a place where i can pack into on the weekend and fish to get away from the grind. can anyone suggest any good spots.

thanks 

1:27 a.m. on April 23, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Are you thinking east side or west side? How hard of a hike are you up for?

10:31 a.m. on April 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Either side would be fine. I think I can do a least 7 miles on a trail rated moderate. I have been hiking some hilly parks 10 miles  total a week with 20 lbs. when I go out my pack will weight in with about 40 lbs at the most.

6:19 p.m. on April 23, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Other than a couple trips in Yosemite I've only hiked in from the east side so far. One of the closest and probably best hikes would be to the Cottonwood Lakes for Goldens. Beautiful alpine country and lots of willing goldens to fish for. The trail head starts out at about 9,500ft and lake #4 (where most camp) is at 11,063ft. It is a special regs area and is single hook, barbless only. Lake #5 at 11,205ft is the only lake that you are allowed to keep any fish from is at 11,210ft. Be sure and check the regs for any area yourself to be sure.

Big Pine Lakes would make another nice trip for just getting back into it. A little more elevation gain on the trail but the trail head and lakes are a little lower in elevation. The trail head starts out at about 8,000ft and the Lake #1 is at 10,000ft with decent sized Brown, Rainbows, and Brookies.

Easier hikes would be either up Bishop Canyon or Little Lakes Valley. Both have opportunities for wide open fishing for small stunted Brookies which can be a lot of fun. In both of these areas you will see a lot more dayhikers because they are easier hikes but still might be a good choice for you to get out and test your gear and see if it's what you want to get into.

11:00 a.m. on April 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Gary,

thank you for the reply I look forward to trying some of these spots this summer. It looks like those golden trout will be a challenge but one I know I will be up for.

thanks again! 

11:41 a.m. on April 24, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
471 forum posts

Winnett's "Sierra South" (and North) has indications of type/size of fish expected along most of the trails that are covered in the book.

12:17 p.m. on April 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Thanks!

1:31 p.m. on April 25, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

This is great as I too am looking for the same information of good fishing spots in the Sierra's.  Particularly North of Yosemite, Stanislaus, Eldorado and also up in/near the Mendocino NF area ?

11:05 p.m. on April 30, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
471 forum posts

The link below is the kind of thing you should be looking for:

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/dinkey.htm

Lots on the net.  Also the following has forums that are specific for the Sierra and many people fish the streams and lakes.

http://www.highsierratopix.com/

11:10 a.m. on May 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Thanks Speacock I think I'll give the dinkey lakes a try. 

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply