Sizing for sleeping bags

1:07 a.m. on May 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hello, I need some advice.  I am looking to buy a sleeping bag for us on the Appalachian trail early this summer.  I have never used a mummy sleeping bag before and wanted to know how the sizing works.  I am about 6'4" (76"), but pretty skinny (only ~177 pounds).  What would be the minimum bag length I would want?  I notice many of them are around 84-86", is this sufficient for a guy my size?

Thanks!

2:02 p.m. on May 1, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

It should. Were the same height and my go to bag, a marmot trestle, is 6.6ft long. I wont say it's the roomiest but for summer it's perfect. I dont think I would take much longer from fear of having cold feets. Have good time on the Appalachian.

7:14 p.m. on May 1, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Slightly long is better as cramming your feet into the end reduced warmth and comfort.

Some bags only state Short, Regular, Long.  I suggest long.

8:09 p.m. on May 1, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
477 forum posts

You can find your 'girth' if you put your elbows at your sides fists out horizontal.  Have someone measure around your back and fists.  Ask if you can take the bag home and sleep in it.  Some like it more close (like wearing a loose jacket), other want more freedom.  See how you feel lying on different sides and/or rolling with it.  Most don't like the constriction of the feet.

The idea of a mummy is to make less dead air space to have to warm up.  Don't forget a good pad under you.

The 'long' usually fits 72-78 inches. 

The length they mention might be an outside dimension from the end of the foot to the top of the hood.  Not sure that is a good indication of how you fit inside.  Your feet/toes should almost bottom out with the top of the bag (not the hood) near your nose.

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/sleeping+bag+backpacking.html

8:39 p.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I go to the outdoor store ... select various bags ... lay them out on the floor ... climb in the bag ... try various positions.

I'm a "regular" at most of my regional stores; even have a 'preferred-customer' card at two.

Anyhow, I would imagine there would be no problem for "test driving" a bag at the store.

Yogi Robt

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply