Planning a trip to Stanislaus National Forest

7:34 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I am looking to take a 4-5 night in Stanislaus National Forest sometime in mid July. I've never gone backpacking before and would like an advice on this park. I'm going with my sister and she is worried that we could get lost because there are no trails. What are the conditions and where are we allowed to camp? If any one has advice on where to go in the park, that would be awesome. Happy trails to all.

10:55 p.m. on June 15, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Wilderness area just north of Yosemite

1:44 a.m. on June 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Did you get the information you need? If not let me know. I have worked from the Stanislaus to the Seqouia and have plenty of ideas for you. It all depends on when exactly you're going and how far you would like to go. I would buy a Trails Illustrated map for the area you would like to go and check out all the different trails you're interested in.

8:52 p.m. on June 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I was also looking into sequoia, haven't decided yet. I want to go on a 4 night trip that is part on trail and part off trail if that is allowed. I also want to hike somewhere where there are plenty of lakes or rivers. Are there are of rules against hiking off trail and where I am allowed to set up camp? Thank you very much for the help.

11:32 a.m. on June 21, 2011 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I have a California National Forest almost in my backyard. I found that direct contact with NFS Ranger's office to be the best source of information.  Usually there is a main office for a specific  NF with local district offices specific to the backcountry area you wish to enter. All this and other info is listed on the NF Gov't website. They can supply you with the know how to get the maps with trails you need to know.  Likewise, ask them if they have the USGS Topo Quads for sale. In addition, look at photographic websites to get an idea of the terrain you will be backpacking in and around. A half  hour with a Ranger will make for a more enjoyable wilderness experience.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/forestvisitormaps/stanislaus/

1:43 p.m. on June 22, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

AzureCaribe said:

I have a California National Forest almost in my backyard. I found that direct contact with NFS Ranger's office to be the best source of information.  Usually there is a main office for a specific  NF with local district offices specific to the backcountry area you wish to enter. All this and other info is listed on the NF Gov't website. They can supply you with the know how to get the maps with trails you need to know.  Likewise, ask them if they have the USGS Topo Quads for sale. In addition, look at photographic websites to get an idea of the terrain you will be backpacking in and around. A half  hour with a Ranger will make for a more enjoyable wilderness experience.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/forestvisitormaps/stanislaus/

This is a great suggestion and exactly what I do most of the time for this area.  With changing regulations, fire permits, closed areas and new POI's it is a worthwhile stop into one of the nearest offices to where you are going.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply