Forums for Travelers and Couchsurfing

2:45 p.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

As you can see, I’m brand new to this forum.  I’m a native of the CA central valley college town of Davis, and have lived in various urban centers of Oregon, Washington, and the CA Bay Area, but I’m completely unaware of the rest of the country.  I love the outdoors and I love meeting different kinds of people, so this summer I plan to get acqauinted with my country.  I’m preparing now to hitchhike (more or less, including Craigslist rides), using  Couchsurfing.com hosts and solo camping.

I don’t have any particular destinations in mind except that I want to visit several of the longest-lasting “communes” and I want to eventually come to the head of the Appalacian Trail in Maine for about a week-long backcountry hike.  My main task will be soaking up the places and the people I meet, doing sociological/art photography, and (maybe) doing some “interviews” with people about their life stories.

What online forums would you recommend for me to talk to folks with similar experiences/mission?

I’m also a couchsurfing newbie so I don’t have any “friends”, “vouchers”, or “references”.  What was your experience like as a couch-surfing newbie in the USA (if you have been)?  Should I expect to get a lot of rejection due to my lack of online track-record?

5:57 p.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

This topic is perplexing for me to answer ....

I would like to offer you some suggestions ...  and, I have a question-or-two.

I wonder (?) what your '"kit" is going to consist of.   Meaning -- what actual 'hiking gear' are you planning on taking along with you?   Your hitch-hiking 'excursions' can be adventuresome.   I used to hitchhike about 1000 miles annually.   I never used a backpack ... but, there were times I wish I dd so.

You should have some plan for NOT getting robbed.   If you have a backpack, and everything in it ... it may be a "target" for a thief, where he (she?) might imagine you have something valuable.   I wouldn't take a Nikon or Canon DSLR camera.

There is a company that sells a safety / security system of very tough, small cables with a combo lock  ("Pac-Safe" ???  not sure) ... looks like a net.

Being Summer, you won't need a sleeping-bag rated for less than 40-degrees.   I was on the AT in Maine during mid-October for 10 days, it it DID get down to freezing, but I was OK wearing a bit more sleeping layers of clothing.

I do Craigslist, but only to buy and sell.   Not regularly, anyhow ... and I did not know they have a hook-up system in place for rides.   Cool idea, though.

Don't know ANYTHING 'bout www.couchsurfing.com.

I surf WAVES ... not couches.

Yogi Robt

12:16 p.m. on June 28, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

get off the couch and get out there

10:41 a.m. on June 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Surf won't really be "up" until hurricanes and tropical storms hit the Mid-Atlantic.   I'm waiting, with great anticipation.

"Cowabunga, Dude !!"

~r2~

3:25 p.m. on June 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hey marienbad,  I'm not really into the couch surffing thing myself as I need my space in my house and I don't keep regular hours as I don't work but I have 2 1/2 acres up in Washington St. that I might be willing to let you pitch a tent on for a bit if that's of any interest or help to you.  In reading what you've written  It seems that you might be starting on your journey on the west coast, is this in fact the case?  I love to travel and meet new people but I'm just not in the position to to do that right now as I have pets, a garden, sheep and chickens.  What I was thinking about doing was letting people from who are traveling across the world and are in this part of the country pitch a tent for a bit.  I figure I might offer it to you to see how it goes before I try it on a larger scale.   I do however live 2 miles up a dirt road so I don't know how this would fit into you plans.  If your interested PM me and we can talk about the fine points.  I live in a place called Seabeck, WA and my zip is 98380 if you want to see if you'll be in my neck of the woods.  That would also then give you at least one “friends”, “vouchers”, or “references” to get started with.

3:40 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

As an aside, but maybe not, I read about a person on a site called airbnb who rented out their SF apartment to strangers and had it totally trashed and her identity stolen. Big dispute apparently over whether the host site was responsible in any way or not. The cops got some people eventually.

But how is the trip going?

7:50 a.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Just to offer up a slightly different idea. Check out the American Discovery Trail. It's kinda what your looking for. It has stretches of backcountry hiking, but also quite a bit of hiking through more populated areas. Lion King(his trailname) has a great video series on hiking it. You can find some information on the ADT at www.whiteblaze.net and then scroll down about 3/4 of the way on the forum page and there is a section with trails listed, its one of the first ones on the list.

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply