Book?

8:58 p.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Was just wondering if there was one book out there that I should consider purchasing when it comes to backpacking/camping.  Trying to learn all I need to know about what to bring, pack, how to etc.  Thanks

9:10 p.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
9:14 p.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

perfect thanks

9:19 p.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Never a problem. Happy hiking.

10:53 p.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

Link above didn't work for me. Missing the last 3.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Walker-IV-Colin-Fletcher/dp/0375703233

10:58 p.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Sorry about that. Did it from my phone. May have had something to do with it.

11:46 p.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

Thanks for the information, I'm still learning myself and just order the book.

11:58 p.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

No big deal. Thanks for the recommendation. Probably get that for my next long trip.

3:09 a.m. on June 25, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

FYI, The Complete Walker is considered the "bible" of backpacking and is now in its fourth edition. A bit about the original author, the late Colin Fletcher-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Fletcher

and the book itself-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Walker

There are dozens, if not hundreds of books on backpacking and hiking, but buying only one-TCW is it.

For something less weighty, Allan & Mike's Really Cool Backpackin' Book should also be good and a fun read. I have two of their other books, one on tele skiing and one on backcountry skiing and both are great-lots of tips illustrated with cartoons. Amazon has all of them.

5:04 a.m. on June 25, 2011 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I love Amazon.  Thanks again.

1:14 p.m. on June 25, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Already said of course, but get - The Complete Walker.

The name says it all.

Lots of other good books out there that are well worth reading, but TCW would be my pick if I could have only one.

9:35 p.m. on June 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

Trouthunter,

What other books would you recommend?

1:26 p.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

The Backpackers Handbook - Chris Townsend

The Backpackers Field Manual - Rick Curtis

Allen and Mikes Really Cool Backpacking Book - Allen O'Bannon & Mike Clelland

Ultralight Backpackin' Tips - Mike Clelland

Trail Life - Ray Jardine

Lightweight Backpacking and Camping - Ryan Jordan

These are all books I own or have borrowed and read that I thought were well written and relevant to modern backpacking.

I also own some older books like the NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) series that are good, but now dated.

There are many more of course, some about cooking, backpack fishing, long distance trails, or books about a particular region or trail.

One of my favorites is 'A Walk in the Woods' by Bill Bryson. This book is about the Appalachian Trail.

I also have a couple books about backpack flyfishing, and several about flyfishing in general that I have learned a lot from and have influenced my backpacking style. I'm sure the same would be true for most people who have a particular activity they are passionate about in addition to their backpacking, such as photography or music.

9:23 a.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills is also an excellent book whether you're looking learn about just hiking or have your sights on a big wall or peak. A large percentage of the book is about hiking and trekking, and all the nitty-gritty basics of preparation, gear, planning, technique, etc.

9:28 a.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,089 forum posts

gonzan said:

Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills is also an excellent book whether you're looking learn about just hiking or have your sights on a big wall or peak. A large percentage of the book is about hiking and trekking, and all the nitty-gritty basics of preparation, gear, planning, technique, etc.

I have to agree and that was one of the many books recommended to me on trailspace when I first joined. But I would also say look on Ebay. They are much cheaper and I purchased mine from Goodwill on line on Ebay for 7 dollars a piece. Went to a good charity. Also some of the books Trouthunter listed as well and Tom D. I have all the books trout has as well. I might start lending out anybody for that?

5:51 p.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

a season on the trail and walking on the happy side of misery are both great reads.  not how to books but great reads still.

12:18 p.m. on June 28, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I suggest to ask that question on the internet, google, ask, yahoo, Trailspace, etc.  You will find a broader answer by checking online and then you can refine the answers to the more common ones rather than taking one book as the bible of what to take and do.

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply