Best clothing combination for short hike to a swimming hole.

4:43 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

First time poster.

My girlfriend and I live in Sacramento. It is very hot in the area during the summer, so I try to plan all of our hikes and walks to end near a swimming hole.
We do lots of short hikes, on popular trails, that either follow a water feature or terminate at one.

Since many of these trails are short and popular it's often not optimal to bring a full change of clothes.

Because:

A. a full sized day pack seems overkill on a short hike
B. there's nowhere private to change.
C. We may go in and out of the water multiple times.

The problem we run into is, wet uncomfortable clothes on the return hike which can result in painful chaffing!

What I'm looking for is a combination, of shorts and underwear, or swim bottoms that are ideal for a fast quick hike, swimming, and a fast hike out.

Obviously, my GF and I don't wear the same shorts, so advice for both men and women would be ideal.

I really prefer something around the board-short/cargo short style for myself, but am open to any suggestions.

Any other advice for these types of hikes is welcome as well.

Thanks a ton!

5:20 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I can't touch on the female aspect of this on but I would suggest a convertible pant and go commando.

The first pants that come to mind that I use are the TNF Horizon Peak convertibles that I use for summer(I have khaki and a dark green color.)

They have a drawstring in the waist band and they dry quick, also they are a lightweight fabric with UPF 50 sun protection. I wear these in the water with a MH Doubleback belt just for the reassurance that I don't lose my britches. Plus they have a zippered pocket that also doubles as a storage pocket for the pants(stuff the pants into the pocket from the inside and zip closed.) Which is a nice little touch.

I have 2 pairs of these and they are my "go-too" pants for summer.

I think TNF may have discontinued this model but I saw a few places that have them out there for a fairly decent price.

Never the less, a lightweight, synthetic convertible may be the way to go. Gives ya a lil flexibility on your hike for leg protection being you can slap the ol pantlegs on and off.

They also have a lifetime warranty which is more of a TNF thing as opposed to a pant thing.

***on a side note I would stick to dark colors. When wet the lighter ones become more "opaque" and if you are commando it may increase blood flow to the face(blushing) and cause adverse reactions from the people around you.***

By the way, welcome to Trailspace eworden78.

5:35 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks, for the response!

I had thought of the "commando mode" but was thinking of on a bit longer hikes, biking, or trail running.(all things I failed to include in my OP) there could be some issues with the over abundant freedom of various body parts.

My last trip I wore synthetic Adidas shorts with a liner, and they did pretty well up until the last half mile where they started chaffing.

On a side note:

I ran into the opaque issue once! My buddy gave me some shorts that he had never worn, I took them house boating with me, popped up out of the water in front of about 12 women, to the look of shock, and a bit of screaming! Not sure if the shock was a good thing or bad thing!

9:57 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

A tshirt and board shorts or running shorts always worked for me.  in fact I hike in them as a general practice in warm and hot weather, with properly supporting underwear underneath.

Ed

12:08 a.m. on July 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

The shock was a good thing and a bad thing.  Only you can figure that one out. Some where shocked, and,............. some were shocked.   Without more specifics I can not say what each persons shock ment.

A full size pack can be a wonderful thing if you bring the right things,  a basket of food, a bottle(s) of wine, rain gear, the finest assortment of cheeses as well as short bread/crackers  and as many other edible delectables you can find and afford (hint: find out what she like to eat) your can find (hint,  I'll bet all the women can chime in and let us know what were suppose to pack in to the swimin hole).

If you are a gentleman you will pack in a largest blanket you can so that  when you string it up you will each have a place to change.  You will then use it in a manner that is consistante with laying it on the ground for the multiple meals you will have as you "may go in and out of the water multiple times."  The blanket is good for other things as well.  PM for more information.

You have a full pack, bring a full set of clothes so that you will not be uncomfortable during your ruturn hike. 

Dude, your going to the swiminn hole, take what ever you need with you as your with the one you want to be with at the waterinn hole.  This is not a UL  backpacking trip, do not treat it as such,  it's a trip to the swimmin hole.  Please...............let us know how it went.................

3:05 a.m. on July 8, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

I second board shorts.  I would get a pair of Birdwell Beach Britches. Not sure who in Sacto has them. They are kind of hard to find, but they sell them online.  The caveat is that it is a small company and from what I have read online from unhappy customers, hard to deal with, so if you can't find them in a store, get something else.

Too bad since they are a great product.  I took a pair to NZ with me and wore them hiking. They dry out in a hurry and are not nearly as heavy as something like Katins or Billabong (got a pair of those I really like, but they are slow to dry). If you want something underneath them, go to the Jockey outlet store at Folsom and get some of their nylon briefs-not the cotton ones-the synthetic ones. They are comfortable and if wet, dry quickly. I wear them winter camping.

9:32 a.m. on July 8, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Mens mesh lined cargo shorts:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4DKUS_enUS299US299&q=mens+mesh+lined+cargo+shorts 

Ya may want to check outy Patagonia. They make some nice board shorts. Pricey but still nice.(mens & womens)

http://www.patagonia.com/us/shop/board-shorts?k=6u

Look around if you are interested in the Patagonias. They can be had at cheaper prices than what is on their site.

9:58 p.m. on July 8, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Wear compression boxer briefs under you Boardies

10:47 p.m. on July 12, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

This just may be the solution right here :)

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/backcountry/topics/73578.html

3:31 a.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

I like mountain hardwear canyon shorts with a good quality wool or synthetic boxer brief underneath. I wear the canyon shorts on all warm weather hikes and also like to hit up swimming holes. the shorts are nice because they are a light weight fast drying hiking short with mesh drain "holes" in the pockets, they also have 2 front 1 back and 1 cargo zipper side pocket. I got my pair on sale at rei a few months ago for about 20$

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply