Moss Tent info

11:56 a.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Does anyone know the production run dates for the Moss Deltoid tent or if there is a Moss tent archive somewhere?  I am fascinated by Moss tent design, now out of production...but Wow, what a beautiful product.

Pete 

12:13 p.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts
11:20 p.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks for the referral.  That tent sold some time ago but the seller won't take the add down.  I thought someone was doing research on Moss tents a few months ago.  If that person is within ear shot of this thread I would enjoy learning what you have found out about this iconic tent visionary.

Thanks, Pete

5:14 p.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

Not sure who was supposed to be doing the research but a quick look on the web gave me the following:

"1948

Bill Moss completes Art School

1955/56

conceives of Pop Tent design whilst working as an artist/illustrator for the Ford Motor co.

makes first 1,000 Pop Tents, which open like umbrellas

Abercombie & Fitch outfitters buy just one tent

article in July issue of Life Magazine ensures remainder of tents sell out in six months

1959/60

Bill Moss licenses the Pop Tent to the King Seeley Thermos Company to help meet demand

starts Moss Tent Works, in Camden, Maine, to develop own manufacturing of tent designs

receive a $200,000 USD federal small business loan

designs the Stargazer tent, with mesh roof panel on inner tent

Olympic and Starlet models released

develop a curvilinear fabric framed exhibit for their stand at the Outdoor Retailer trade show

Charles Duvall starts work as camping tent designer

enter corporate exhibition market, developing lightweight tensioned fabric displays for Xerox, Digital, Exxon, etc

US National Endowment of the Arts awards Bill Moss $20,000 fellowship for “Distinguished Design”

Deltoid model is released

Moss designer, Charles Duvall, wins the best product design award from the Industrial Designers Society

sells 8,000 tents

Bill Moss dies, aged 71

Helix and Triton models released

Edgeworks, the manufacturer of Moss, Walrus and Armadillo tents merges with MSR

Moss brand is discontinued and tents are labelled MSR

MSR is acquired by Cascade Designs (maker of the Therm-A-Rest)"

It seems that the Deltoid was out of production by 1999...

...but here's a recent $75 craigslist find:

MossOutfitterWing2.jpg

Moss Outfitter Wing used only once before I purchased it last week.

7:31 p.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,176 forum posts

I was out a couple years ago and ran into a couple backpackers sharing an old Moss tent shown below.  It's similar to the current MSR Fury, of course:

TRIP-102-OCTOBER-NOV-2009-049.jpg

Above is the old Moss tent.

TRIP-121-472.jpg

Here's the old Moss design upgraded.

12:09 a.m. on August 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thank you guys, great info.  It seems 1991-1999 is about right for the Deltoid.  At least it was conceived when Bill Moss still ran the company.  Kind of like buying a Jaguar when William Lyons ran the company(XK 120's XKE's)..the best of the best.  I will be taking My Deltoid Netting on a 7 day mule pack to northeastern Yosemite next week.  That old Outfitter Wing would sure come in handy, I'll let you make $50.00 profit on your treasure find and then you won't have to think about it anymore.   Thanks for looking that up.

Pete.

2:51 a.m. on August 20, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

OK, using Google, I found a bunch of stuff on Moss-here is one site with a lot of pics from old catalogs-

http://homepage.mac.com/inov8/Compass/mossimages.html

I vaguely remember seeing that tent in a catalog, but couldn't recall the name- I thought it was Starlight, but from what I see online, it is probably a Starlet or a Stargazer, more likely the Stargazer because it is the bigger of the two.

Pretty innovative design for its time and still around in one form or another.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply