Two burner camp stove with no low flame adjustment for simmer

1:05 p.m. on October 16, 2011 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I've used my Brinkman two burner s/s stove twice and I'm ready to put it in the garage sale.  It has no low heat adjustment.

When it's lit, you can't simmer anything.  The flame is immediately on high and you can't adjust it any lower or it goes out.

Received the regulator last week from Brinkman.  

The problem is not with the regulator, but with the knobs on the stove.  The right hand knob seems to spring to full on with high flame and can't be turned to a low setting allowing me to simmer food.  It either springs back to full on or goes out when I try to adjust it to a low flame.

Waiting to hear back from brinkman.  Are there any adjustments that can be made to the knobs.

New Coleman stoves don't look to be all they are cracked u to be.  Maybe just looking at too cheap a model.  Any specific recommendations for stoves?

5:00 p.m. on October 16, 2011 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Someone once said, "can of worms"

1) To get started, how do you intend to use it?

2) Are you looking specifically for a replacement to your existing two burner?

3) How many in your camping party/Family are you cooking for?

4) Are there any fuel preferences(profane,White Gas, Kerosene)?

5) Are you looking for something new out-of-the-box or something old and classic?

If you want to explore a little in new & old stoves perhaps try Spiritburner.com . I'm a member over there and think that they may have a lot to offer concerning your camp kitchen.

AR

1:04 p.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

http://www.rei.com/search?query=2+burner+stove

There is even one with a stove / grill combo.

I have always had good fortune with Primus.

8:43 p.m. on October 23, 2011 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Had good luck with ManVenture Outpost

If you are looking for a Gassie 2-burner

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/North-American-Gear-P%252d329985-Primus-Atle2-Burner-Prop-Camp-Stv.html

Compare it to this at Target and see if you find similarity

http://www.target.com/p/Camp-Chef-Mountain-Series-2-Burner-Stove/-/A-11867922

Personally, I'm a Coleman "suitcase" kind of guy.

After looking at Callahans link to the Primus I could be swayed(a little) if I was in the market for a propane 2-burner

AR

4:53 a.m. on November 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

some people still cook on the trail,want to simmer,primus classic(heavy,bulky $25),snow peak lite max(fancy schmancy $60)ISOBUTANE RULES! P.S. need 2 burners buy 2.after i posted i saw another post referring to propane are trying to cook in extreme cold(below 15or20?,even isobutane starts to lose it below that,all propane,gas grille in phoenix at 125degrees or mt washington at -30degrees is regulated to 11"-13"W.C.,but at 14.7psi propane boils at-41degrees,isobutane 11 degrees,if conditions warrant propane can be the only option to cook or drink unless youlike eating snow continuously to keep hydrated.

10:08 a.m. on November 1, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Unk, 

Welcome to Trailspace! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on stoves. 

A couple notes that might expand your possibilities a little- aside from canister stoves (propane/butane/isobutane) there are also the options of liquid fuel stoves that offer reliable operation in even the coldest temperatures.

And at the risk of being overly cautionary, it is virtually never a good idea to eat snow as a means of keeping hydrated. The body energy required to internally melt the snow and still maintain body heat is much higher than is often understood. You can quickly drop your core temperature and deplete your energy reserves to a dangerous level, making hypothermia a very real danger. 

1:22 a.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,294 forum posts

unk said:

some people still cook on the trail,want to simmer,primus classic(heavy,bulky $25),snow peak lite max(fancy schmancy $60)ISOBUTANE RULES! P.S. need 2 burners buy 2.after i posted i saw another post referring to propane are trying to cook in extreme cold(below 15or20?,even isobutane starts to lose it below that,all propane,gas grille in phoenix at 125degrees or mt washington at -30degrees is regulated to 11"-13"W.C.,but at 14.7psi propane boils at-41degrees,isobutane 11 degrees,if conditions warrant propane can be the only option to cook or drink unless youlike eating snow continuously to keep hydrated.

For the record, liquid fuels (i.e. white gas, kerosene) work in extreme cold too.

Ed

8:49 a.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I think there's an echo in here...

;)

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply