lasagna,chili mac,beef stroganoff,breasts w/pot.

1:38 a.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

which mountain house would please the most without complaints?or how many would consider which one inedible?

6:35 a.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

lasanga, chili mac, and beef stroganoff are the only flavors that I even find remotely pallatable. I actually like all 3 of them, every other MH flavor i have tried has been almost vile and inedible. Especially the turkey tetrazini *vomit*

I make my own meals now, but will still occassionaly buy a stroganoff or lasanga to bring along to mix it up.

7:16 a.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

You didn't list beef stew but that flavor I actually like.  The lasagna needed salt but was edible and the beef stroganoff was edible. 

My suggestion is beans and rice.  Check out the camp kitchen forum, there's lots of good advice in there and links to trail food web sites.

4:06 p.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
596 forum posts

Do they all come with pot? If so, they probably taste just fine if you smoke before dinner. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend them. :)

4:14 p.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I am a Knorr's packet, foil pack tuna, and chicken kinda guy lol. Buy a dehydrator and make your own stuff. 

11:15 p.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,357 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

On my most recent trip I tried something similar to what Rick described.  Well, basically just minute rice with a packet of salmon.  It wasn't exactly delicious, but with the right sauce or spices it could have been much better.  I was just a little concerned because the strong fish smell probably persisted even after washing my cook set - and my "salmon breath" was probably the equivalent a "welcome all bears" sign on my tent.

I used Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry, etc freeze dried dinners on my trips this summer.  I started to notice a pattern of feeling fine until after eating these meals, then experiencing intestinal troubles that evening or the next day.

I think I will be trying to use "real" food from now on...

Anyway the OP asked about "inedible" ... on one trip this summer I used Mountain House Chicken with Rice.  It sounds innocuous - but it was borderline inedible.  It wasn't really that it had a bad flavor.  There was just something about it that made it really hard to get down.  Maybe it was a lack of flavor.  And shortly thereafter I experienced the aforementioned intestinal issues.  In fact it was so bad that I lost my appetite the whole next day.

11:29 p.m. on November 16, 2011 (EST)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

BS is always a winner

I have never liked the mash of the MH Lasagna

3:47 a.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
170 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

Ok y'all, no-one's mentioned the Mountain House WHOLE chicken Breasts with Mashed Potatoes. The smashed taters are, well, instant smashed potatoes. Can't go wrong there. But the chicken breasts, oh MY, the chicken breasts! I challenge ANYONE to find me some more tender, melt-in-your-mouth chicken breasts anywhere. And I mean ANYWHERE. Your favorite restaurant, your BBQ, where ever. Those MH whole chicken breasts... oh wait, GRILLED whole chicken breasts are without exception (or exaggeration) the BEST chicken I've ever had. I could HAPPILY live off of them for years as my only meat product. They are THAT good. IMHO.

Anyhoo, that's my two cents anyways.

Cheers all. (And go out and try some Mountain House Grilled Whole Chicken Breasts and Mashed Potatoes.)  

Later!

Cory

4:03 a.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lol.

7:53 p.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

StoveTop stuffing with whatever kind of meat protien you like added always makes for a cheap and easy meal. Depending on what and how much you add you can get 2-3 healthy meals from one box of stuffing. I like dehydrated chicken and mushrooms.

9:51 p.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,357 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

Umm, no, I find it difficult to imagine any packaged meal rivaling my charcoal grilled chicken / whatever :-). But maybe I will give the MH chicken & instant (yuck) potatoes a try ... From the safety of my own home ;-).

11:06 p.m. on November 17, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

Instant mashed are good if you substitute milk instead of water and double the butter. Salt to taste.

What I found was that things taste much better after hiking all day and you are hungry and/or you lower your standards because it's the only food around.  My daughter and her friend chowed down on smoked sausage and mac n' cheese the second day of our hike.  If that had been served at home they would have headed to her friends house for supper.

Basically you should have a little pre-hike party and let everybody sample them.  Also it would give you a chance to try out your stove.

8:12 a.m. on November 18, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Since stove top was mentioned. One of my common meals i take is commonly called Thanksgiving in a bag or similar by many.

Stove Top

Instant mashed potatoes

1 can chicken or turkey

1/2 a packet or so of turkey gravy

dried cranberries or craisens

Change around the amount of stove top and potatoes to suit your appetite.  Just add in a little boiling water and its ready to eat in a minute or so. Easy, and no dehydrating required, everything can be purchased at your local grocery store.

8:34 a.m. on November 18, 2011 (EST)
20 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I have been happy with all the MH products that I eat on the trail. I do drop my standards on the trail but that is because I do not want the trouble of cooking and cleaning up. My fav is the  beef stroganoff. My ex would chop, and mix, and simmer and make some fantastic trail meals, lentil beans in miso stands out in my memory. I have used rice a roni with a foil pack of chicken or tuna, and some cheese all wrapped in flour tortillas but the quality is not really any better then MH wrapped in a tortilla. I have been accused of having the stomach of a billy goat but I proudly consider that just another survival skill.

9:28 a.m. on November 18, 2011 (EST)
60 reviewer rep
115 forum posts

TJ said: <>Ok y'all, no-one's mentioned the Mountain House WHOLE chicken Breasts with Mashed Potatoes. The smashed taters are, well, instant smashed potatoes. Can't go wrong there. But the chicken breasts, oh MY, the chicken breasts! I challenge ANYONE to find me some more tender, melt-in-your-mouth chicken breasts anywhere. And I mean ANYWHERE. Your favorite restaurant, your BBQ, where ever. Those MH whole chicken breasts... oh wait, GRILLED whole chicken breasts are without exception (or exaggeration) the BEST chicken I've ever had. I could HAPPILY live off of them for years as my only meat product. They are THAT good. IMHO. Anyhoo, that's my two cents anyways.<>

I can't find whole breasts on the MH site, can anyone post a link?

8:05 p.m. on November 18, 2011 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I agree that the checken breast and mashed potatoes is one of there best.

Here is a link, on sale too.

http://www.nitro-pak.com/products/freeze-dried-foods/freeze-dried-food-pouches/freeze-dried-main-entrees/mtn-h-pouch-chicken-breast-w-mashed-potatoes

12:38 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
4,359 forum posts

Are those freezedried meals still as expensive as they were in the 80s?  I take regular macaroni and add bulk cheese to it after it cooks. Guess I am old fashioned, I like simple meals. I repack everything I eat from the boxes to Ziploc bags.

2:10 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Unk ,  what is your choice ?

7:28 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,622 reviewer rep
5,396 forum posts

MoZee said:

I can't find whole breasts on the MH site, can anyone post a link?

Just a little looking, and here they are, right at the top of entrees.

9:12 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,357 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

Are those freezedried meals still as expensive as they were in the 80s?  I take regular macaroni and add bulk cheese to it after it cooks. Guess I am old fashioned, I like simple meals. I repack everything I eat from the boxes to Ziploc bags.

Gary, yep, they're expensive, compared to, say, a box of Mac 'n Cheese - but it's all relative.  If I walk down the street from where I live, I'm hard pressed to find so much as a sandwich for less than about $7.  A dinner?  at least $20... if I go someplace really "basic". 

I've seen freeze dried meals priced between $7 and $8 or so, maybe a bit more or less depending on the source & the variety.  And that's a whole dinner on the trail.  And for those of us who spend only a handful of nights each year on the trail, the cost difference doesn't amount to, ummm, a hill of beans :) in the big picture.

And simple?  a freeze dried meal is the epitome of "simple".  Boil water, open bag, pour in bag, seal, wait.  No muss, no fuss.  No smells on cooking utensils to attract bears.  Just one bag to seal up & store in the bear canister.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective :).

All this having been said, I am finding myself returning to "real" food since unfortunately the freeze dried meals seem to do a number on my insides.  This is definitely not something I want to deal with out in the back country...  So I'm returning to my backpacking food habits from when I was a teenager ... messier & less simple ... but necessary...

12:58 p.m. on November 22, 2011 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

Ugggggh. Mountain House Chili Mac has got to be the worst in the line-up.

It's the cheapest price for a reason.  It does make good raccoon repellent.

I love mountain house!  I sometimes eat it at home when the wife is away.

Try the sweet and sour pork - pretty darn good.

5:12 p.m. on November 22, 2011 (EST)
60 reviewer rep
115 forum posts

Thanks Gary and Bill for the links, don't know how I missed that, I'll be trying that one next time I'm out.

One thing I've started using is Fantastic Foods: nature burger, hummus, and refried beans dehydrated packets.  They're pretty big portions, good for 2 or more.  I take the nature burger, fry it a little, make instant mashed taters in another pot and dehydrated mixed veggies and its a killer shepherds pie.  The hummus is good to make in the morning before you  break camp and have it for lunch and appetizer before dinner.  I guess I'll have to put that shepherds pie recipe in  Camp Kitchen/Recipes. 

2:57 p.m. on December 11, 2011 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
49 forum posts

i recently had the the alfredo chicken and it was terrible, i managed to swallow half it but it messed up my insides.  i have always brought real food but wanted to try something more simple and it wasnt worth it in my opinion.  i still have the beef stew but i must say im scared.  i like smoked meats and fish on the trail and something simple like mac and cheese, or stove top.  im usually solo and dont have to please others... maybe thats why i go!

8:53 a.m. on December 12, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

I have eater several of the Mountain House freeze dried meals, and I didn't find the following ones all that bad, some pretty good:

• Beef Stroganof
  • Chicken Teriyaki & Rice
  • Mexican Chicken and Rice
  • Buffalo Chicken (Served  in a wrap with with cheese, tomato, lettuce, and ranch sour cream)

12:35 p.m. on December 13, 2011 (EST)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Buffalo Chicken, I will have to go get and try this one.

12:36 p.m. on December 13, 2011 (EST)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Buffalo with wings ?

12:36 p.m. on December 13, 2011 (EST)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Or Chicken with horns ?

9:47 a.m. on January 4, 2012 (EST)
242 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I think the MH Chili Mac is great. One of my favs. Their spaghetti is good as well.

Trail Foods used to make some really good meals, but I can't find them locally anymore. They had a nice touch with giving salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese packs.

1:28 p.m. on January 16, 2012 (EST)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Just had MH Mex Rice w Chicken at home dinner, Uuuum yum.

7:59 p.m. on January 16, 2012 (EST)
43 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Chili Mac, Lasanga are good.

Chicken Breast w/ Mashed Potatos is EXCELLENT!!!!  My wifes fav by far.

Knolls -Cajan Red Beans and Rice with Hot Sausage added..GREAT

10:36 a.m. on January 19, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

This a whole chicken breast, where you gotta use a knife to cut it up or can you eat it with a spoon  directly out of the package?

7:17 p.m. on January 24, 2012 (EST)
170 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

It's actually TWO whole chicken breasts. Not cubed or chunks. Real cut-with-a-knife chicken breasts. Actually, they're so tender, you can cut 'em with a fork. Oooo, I gotta get some more!!! Drooool.

Later!

4:16 p.m. on January 26, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

so I take it  this is not a dinner you eat out of your jetboil cup with a teflon spoon?

2:29 p.m. on January 28, 2012 (EST)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

ice cream

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply