How Cold of Weather Can I Run My Gas Stove In?

12:10 a.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

This is a complicated subject, affected by a variety of factors, but complex or no, I give the question my best shot on my blog: How Cold of Weather Can I Run My Gas Stove In?

I give both a simple answer for easy planning purposes and a more complex answer for those who really want to get into the details.

Have a look if you like,

HJ

4:58 p.m. on November 30, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

I have used my butane/propane Pocket Rocket  stove at 20 degree's but I had to hold my hands around the canister to keep the fuel warm enough to stay working.

8:06 p.m. on November 30, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

the water idea is a good one - put warm to hot water in a pot or shallow pan and set the canister in the water to keep it warm while burning. Keep it in your coat before using it and the combination of the 2 should be warm enough to cook your dinner or melt some water in very cold temps.

Shelter from the winds and from the cold ground are the biggest things beside air temps.

I've used canisters with the temps in the teens and it was okay, but if I didn't keep a hand or 2 on it I noticed that the heat wasn't hot enough to cook.

3:28 a.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
813 reviewer rep
532 forum posts

+1 on the shallow pan o' water idea.

7:30 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

The pan of water idea is definitely a good one.  I don't know if you saw the post I did the following day (Cold Weather Tips for Gas Stoves), but it's a real quick overview of a practical cold weather approach to using a gas stove.  Not much theory in that article.  :)

HJ
Adventures in Stoving

3:50 p.m. on December 6, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I have used gas jet heater before and one problem has been with the big tall bottles tha gas freezes in the bottle while in use.  So put the bottle part way across in front of the flame heater.

Basically if the gas does not freeze you are good to go.

7:55 p.m. on December 6, 2011 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Callahan,

Yep, that'll work, BUT... too much heat, and that gas will blow sky high.  Just be careful.  Keep touching the fuel bottle with your hand.  If it feels hot to the touch, TAKE ACTION!  (move the bottle farther away, turn it down, etc.).

HJ

Adventures in Stoving

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply