The Caldera Cone's 12-10 Alcohol Burner

5:43 p.m. on December 9, 2011 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

The Caldera Cone's 12-10 burner has an interesting and unusual design. While the 12-10 has holes in the side of the body of the burner, it is not a side jet stove, at least not in the conventional sense. With a typical side jet burner, the flames burn out from the jets.
P1080570.JPG

With a 12-10 burner, the flames from the "jets" basically burn in to the burner. If you look closely, you can see the jets burning within.
P1080677.JPG

Join me on my blog today, as I take a quick look at the Caldera Cone's 12-10 burner.

HJ

Adventures In Stoving

10:35 a.m. on December 10, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

HJ

What was the total times it took to reach a boil and how many ounces of fuel did you use? any leftover after the boil test?

3:11 p.m. on December 10, 2011 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Denis:

Boil times vary a bit depending on which type of alcohol I'm using. 

Methanol (e.g. yellow HEET) -- a bit slower than the others

Denatured SLX alcohol -- a bit faster (but not by much compared to Green)

Green denatured alcohol -- slower than SLX but faster than methanol.

The advantage of green is that you can use a bit less to get a boil.  Methanol takes a bit more.

Particularly with alcohol stoves, I'm more worried about efficiency (amount of fuel per boil) than boil times, but my memory is that boil times are generally around five minutes for 2 cups of cold water with a Caldera Cone set up.

With most of the stoves, for testing, I let them burn until exhaustion since I'm interested not only in boil time (speed) but also burn time (efficiency). 

HJ

Adventures In Stoving

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply