About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Fuel Price Survey Results

5:20 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

I have conducted my own survey of stove fuel prices. I thought people might find the results interesting.

I don't list a lot of stores for alcohol and kerosene for the simple reason that every Tom, Dick, and Harry hardware, paint, and building supply store carries them. To try to list every possible source would require an army of data gatherers that I simply don't have. I have listed some popular low cost sources such as that renowned outdoor supplier, Home Depot. :wink:

Fuel Price Survey Results (as of Dec 2011)

Please let me know if this is useful.

Thanks,

HJ

5:25 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Good stuff HJ, I have been using the MSR Superfuel. It is kinda pricey for a quart of it. 

I wonder how much difference there is between that and the Crown. 

Hmmmm...

6:43 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Can't say.  I've never used anything but Coleman for the past 50 years.  Coleman has always done a good job for me.

I can say that I cannot imagine paying more for a quart than I pay for a gallon of Coleman, but that's just me.

There are four providers of "white" gasoline that I know about in the US:

1.  Coleman

2.  MSR

3.  Sunnyside

4.  Crown

If you're in an area where Amish live, you may be able to get real white gasoline.  Real white gasoline has no additives.  Fuels intended for stove use typically have things like rust inhibitors, dyes, etc.  Real white gasoline is supposed to be more volatile than stove fuel.

HJ

Adventures in Stoving

6:46 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

hikin_jim said:

Real white gasoline is supposed to be more volatile than stove fuel.

Thats just what I need. Thanks HJ...

Hey look a shooting star... wait a sec, that star is yelling, kicking, and screaming. 

7:11 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts
7:57 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Plus I wouldn't be able to nail my landing because I would be all hopped up on white lightning. ;)

12:00 a.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

In those circumstances, your landing might nail you.

HJ
Adventures in Stoving

9:18 a.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
488 reviewer rep
1,109 forum posts

Hey Jim,

Just wanted to take a moment throw a big Thank You your way for all the information you've put together and so graciously shared. It's been a great resource for me as I’ve tried to educate myself on stove technology.

5:10 p.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Cool!  I'm so glad that someone is benefiting from it.

HJ
Adventures in Stoving

5:16 p.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

hikin_jim said:

I'm so glad that someone is benefiting from it.

HJ
Adventures in Stoving

Oh don't worry. I am sure quite a few are HJ. Myself included. Thank you.

9:56 p.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Patman said:

Hey Jim,

Just wanted to take a moment throw a big Thank You your way for all the information you've put together and so graciously shared. It's been a great resource for me as I’ve tried to educate myself on stove technology.

Yep +1

Thanks, Mike G.

10:40 p.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Good stuff HJ, I have been using the MSR Superfuel. It is kinda pricey for a quart of it. 

I wonder how much difference there is between that and the Crown. 

Hmmmm...

I have used Coleman, Crown, and MSR, I really can't tell a difference.

Nowadays I just buy a gallon of whichever is the cheapest.

I wouldn't doubt it's all from the same place, not sayin' it is.

I like MSR products, but right now I'm tighter than bark on a tree.

10:51 p.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I hear ya Mike. I don't mind spending cash on good gear, etc. At the same time I also shop around for the best possible deal I can get on said gear.

If the Crown or Coleman burns as clean as the Superfuel does in my stove then I would be spending my money foolishly if I were to purchase the higher dollar MSR fuel.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I may try the Coleman in my Simmernot here in a few days on the trail.

12:00 a.m. on December 31, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
328 forum posts

There seem to be regional price differences.  The local Sports Chalet has the 220 g Snow Peak canisters for $3.49.  They used to sell the Brunton 220 g for that price, but don't seem to carry it any more.

For white gas I have always used the standard gallon cans of Coleman, it has worked well for me.

12:13 a.m. on December 31, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Glad this thread is here as I may now be looking for a new stove after some recent snow camping failure.

12:50 a.m. on December 31, 2011 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

hikin_jim said:

I'm so glad that someone is benefiting from it.

HJ
Adventures in Stoving

Oh don't worry. I am sure quite a few are HJ. Myself included. Thank you.

Thanks, Rick.

Sometimes nobody says a word.  Sometimes I wonder.  I feel like a ping pong ball in the bottom of an empty Supertanker.  ;)

HJ

Adventures in Stoving

1:07 a.m. on December 31, 2011 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

lambertiana said:

There seem to be regional price differences.  The local Sports Chalet has the 220 g Snow Peak canisters for $3.49.  They used to sell the Brunton 220 g for that price, but don't seem to carry it any more.

For white gas I have always used the standard gallon cans of Coleman, it has worked well for me.

220g Snow peak for $3.49 is phenomenal.  Jump on that deal.

I've used Coleman for years and years, and my family before that.  Good results thus far, and Coleman costs less for a gallon than Superfuel does per quart.  Maybe the super means "super expensive?"

HJ

Adventures in Stoving

1:08 a.m. on December 31, 2011 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Callahan said:

Glad this thread is here as I may now be looking for a new stove after some recent snow camping failure.

What'cha looking for?

HJ

Adventures in Stoving

1:05 p.m. on December 31, 2011 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

hikin_jim said:

Sometimes nobody says a word.  Sometimes I wonder.  I feel like a ping pong ball in the bottom of an empty Supertanker.  ;)

HJ

Hell Jim, now I know what keeps bouncing off my head!  LMAO.  Your post and blog are an inspiration!  Really I mean that.

As for MSR's supper fuel, I am sure there is somewhere in their documentation that "Requires" all their stoves use their fuel, i.e. the much higher cost.  Remember this is a capitalist company!   Dose anyone know it MSR fuel has a MSDA sheet for it, that would answer a lot of question on it's makeup. 

Also; dose Coleman fuel have a shelf life?  I got a gallon several years ago and have only used about 1/4 of it, I guess I need to get out more!  :)

Wolfman

3:02 a.m. on January 2, 2012 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Wolfman,

I've seen Coleman fuel last 20+ years if kept tightly sealed.   Air ruins it.  I wouldn't take it on a big trip though if it's more than a couple of years old.

I use old fuel for cleaning stoves, burning on day hikes where not much is at stake if a stove doesn't work right, testing, etc.  For trips where it matters, I use fuel that is within two years of the date I unseal the can.

HJ

Adventures in Stoving

12:39 p.m. on January 2, 2012 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Thanks Jim, I will probably just keep using up this can, I do keep it sealed up tight and have not had any issues with it.   Hopefully by summer I will be on a new can of fuel!!  Got lots of plans this year, I am got to try to bet in 50 hikes, be it a dayhike or a week + long backpacking trip!  Lofty plans I know! :)

Wolfman

3:56 p.m. on January 3, 2012 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

"Sounds like a plan" to me.  :)

HJ

Adventures in Stoving

11:07 a.m. on January 24, 2012 (EST)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

Thanks Jim!  

Always make a point to read your blogs.  You really do a great service.  Thanks for sharing all of the wealth of information & research.

1:05 p.m. on January 24, 2012 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Hi, Guyz,

Thanks.

I don't always get a chance to post a link here, so it's worth visiting my blog once in a while.  My latest postings have been on butane adapters and canister refilling.  Not exactly mainstream subjects, but interesting.

HJ

Adventures in Stoving

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply