TWO-bag freezer bag cooking

2:08 p.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Some of my recipes require two freezer bags for best results.

Ex.> "Thanksgiving Dinner"

1 person serving StoveTop Stuffing

1/4 cup Craisins

1/2 envelope gravy powder

1 foil pouch of chicken

Pouch #1 > Add hot water to StoveTop Stuffing and Craisins, seal & insulate

Pouch #2 > Add hot water to gravy and chicken. Seal, mix well & insulate

Now you can Put the meal together without having the stuffing getting too soggy from gravy. Plus, some don't like gravy on their stuffing.

4:25 p.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,069 forum posts

When you say "hot water" how hot are you talking about, surely not boiling in a plastic Freezer bag?

7:49 p.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Yep, as soon as it boils it goes into the freezer bag. That's how it's done in freezer bag cooking. The freezer bags are heavy enough and FDA food grade plastic and the water is below boiling point by the time it goes into the bag.

Microwaving can reach MUCH higher temps than boiling water and that's why it's not recomended to do in plastic containers of any kind.

Google "Freezer Bag Cooking" and you'll get a couple of good sites. With FB cooking I can eat meals with FAR lower sodium content that the average freeze-dried meal.

11:34 a.m. on March 14, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,069 forum posts

Well I can imagine cooking food in a bag would save cleaning a cook pot, but how many times can you use the same bag?

2:30 p.m. on March 14, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

sounds gourmet

1:19 a.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Get the book on Freezer bag cooking. It's great. (I don't re-use freezer bags.)

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply