Best cold-weather snack?

11:23 a.m. on April 11, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,426 reviewer rep
1,233 forum posts

Power Bars, Snickers and Cliff Bars turn into bricks.  I favor Kit-Kats since they are edible frozen.  What do you find most edible in the frozen wastes?

1:24 p.m. on April 11, 2012 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

I'm glad you asked this one, as it has been bothering me this winter - the shop stopped selling my favourite individually wrapped cakes. I am tired of 'defrosting' snack bars in my jacket for half an hour and end up dunking everything in my coffee, if I can wait. Sometimes the snack bar cannot take it and I have to rescue it from the bottom of my cup when it fails.

I finally settled on some kind of 'brioche' cake, individually wrapped of course, which wasn't too junky, ingredients-wise. I look like the cookie monster 'cos they are so sloppy. I suppose it was even tougher in the old days before they invented the twinkie (they still sell those in seven elevens?).

2:25 p.m. on April 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,264 forum posts

yeah good question,

I found ye old trail mix of nuts and dried fruit to work pretty well last winter. I also found that tangerines were really good cold and were surprisingly resistant to freezing (I know some don’t like acidic citrus stuff in winter when the lips are cracking etc… but it worked for me). I haven’t extensively tested their freezing point BTW. 

2:31 p.m. on April 11, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Before you start out on the trail grab a few power bars(or whatever else you want to consume that could freeze)and place it as close to your body as possible. 

In a chest pocket of my midlayer seems to work well from past experience.

The closer to your body the better.

Your body heat will keep it warm enough that it doesn't turn into a tooth busting, fossilized, piece of granite.

I have also heard of people placing items such as this under their armpits, in their groin area, and in other various regions of the body(in their wrapper of course.)

2:44 p.m. on April 11, 2012 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

peanut butter cups

4:17 p.m. on April 11, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Have to go with Ricks system and caryernst wiuth the peanut butter cups.

I do like a frozen snickers now and then..

10:08 a.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,055 forum posts

I super cold weather I'll eat chocolate chips.  I'll let them melt a bit before chewing.  Clif builders bars don't seem to freeze too hard, and peanut butter melts quickly. So does nutella!  I've only done it once, but drinking olive oil isn't too bad. Next time, I might add some chopped lemon rind to it to cut the grease a bit, but it gave me the confidence I needed to sleep out on a very cold night!

12:21 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

twinkies ?

2:18 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

VEL seed bars, but you have to carry them inside your jacket. PB and Nutella on a bagel packs a lot of energy (and dispenses it gradually for quite a while) but it gets a bit chewy below freezing.

3:45 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Frozen snickers are good.  My normal cold weather eat on the move goodies are chocolate covered marzipan, quality chocolate, and hard candies.  All are good for concentrated calories.  Salami, cheese and bagels are good cold trail meal fare.  Pack your stove where it is easy to retrieve, and hot soup or coffee or tea is just three minutes away.

4:10 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Bagels, cheese, chocolate, standard trail mix, dried fruit, granola bars, reese's cups. I also enjoy a quick hot drink from my alc stove and ti mug :)

9:58 p.m. on April 14, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

gonzan said:

Bagels, cheese, chocolate, standard trail mix, dried fruit, granola bars, reese's cups. I also enjoy a quick hot drink from my alc stove and ti mug :)

That's almost exactly what I do but I like snickers. I also like Jelly Belly brand jelly beans, they cheer me up.

I like a bagel or English muffin warmed (steamed) on top of my mug while I'm heating water for tea or coffee; bagels fit my mug better and the hole lets the steam out. Bagels make a hardy trail bread, tortillas too.

I try to consume a lot of PB, fish & olive oil, as well as other fats.

I have seen gonzan's alcy stove set up in use, it is nice and I believe it is all DIY.

Mike G.

8:54 a.m. on April 15, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

trail mixes, beef jerky doesn't freeze, cheese, bagels, honey and sunflower seed bars (kind of like peanut brittle but give you instant energy), hot coco in a thermos that stays warm for 12+ hours

10:17 a.m. on April 15, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,160 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

While not really within the 'snack' parameters I do love a soup on the trail. Even a basic ramen noodle soup warms you up real quick, especially if you go with a spicy variety. Gets the nose running a little so you gotta make sure that the snot doesn't just freeze there! ;)

2:59 p.m. on April 15, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Get Buzzing bar

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply