WHY WOULD YOU EAT MOUNTAIN LION?

1:20 a.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

id like to take a poll of how many people have eaten mt lion.of the people that have eaten it how many enjoyed it?im human and it was the nastiest thing i ever ate.here kitty,kitty has different meaning.i guess if you were starving it would be edible but barely,i had it with potatos&carrots and it still tasted like humans shouldnt eat it!what conditions would you eat a mountain lion?

2:05 a.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
803 reviewer rep
503 forum posts

I would have to say no, unless, my very life depended on it.

6:53 a.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Wow, Unk! That's one of the strangest food questions I've ever heard here. Where, and under what circumstances did you come to have the opportunity to try it? We really need to hear more!

9:31 a.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

...?

12:22 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

...??

1:31 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

water buffalo; dog; snake; bear; buffalo; it is all fuel. Nothing more, nothing less.

1:40 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
179 reviewer rep
174 forum posts

I eat lots of game, and when my wife and I first moved up into the hills to homestead we ate on deer, wild turkey and squirrel for meat.

These days we raise goats and rabbits for meat, although we still supplement that with the occasional deer, turkey or squirrel.   

What we haven’t et in more than a decade is beef, pork or chicken. That stuff tastes like crap to me now and considering the way livestock is raised for market I wouldn’t touch the stuff.

Chock full of antibiotics, steroids and god only knows what, fed the craziest diet to make ‘em bloat up super-fast, chickens crammed six to a cage with their beaks cut off, calves never let out of their stalls, ugh, I don’t even want to think about it.

But anyway, I am used to and prefer the taste of “game”, which belive it or not is how meat is actually supposed to taste.

Eat a mountain lion? Now where did you get some of that? Do you hunt? Lions are hard to get. I’ve run across them several times while on foot in the forest and my wife bumped into one while on horseback not long ago. Only one I almost shot was a big lion that jumped into my goat corral and grabbed up a whether and ran off with him.

We were just sitting down to breakfast and my wife had kicked off her shoes when we heard the goats scream. She bolted out the door bare foot and empty handed while I grabbed up a rifle and followed. She got down to the corral first and saw the huge cat drag the goat off into the thick cedars. I hunted along the fence line looking for a blood trail or prints, ready to shoot anything that moved.

Heh, that lion was right crafty! It had that goat by the throat so it couldn’t make a sound and laid down on top of it behind a big old growth log laying in the forest.

I walked right by them not twenty feet away, rifle clutched in sweaty hands, every sense and nerve straining  to the utmost and on a hair trigger, and never noticed ‘em!

I wandered right on down the fenceline and off to a dirt road running through the forest, a-hunting for tracks and blood as I figured the cat must have crossed the road.

Meanwhile back at the corral, our lead doe knew right where that lion was and was trying to tell my wife this. That doe lead my wife to where that cat had the goat pinned down behind the log, and my wife threw a royal fit and yelling and a-carrying on drove that lion off its kill, bare footed and empty handed! “Hell hath no fury” indeed!

I heard the commotion and ran heck bent for leather right back the way I’d come, but I still never got even a limps at that cat.

Had to put that poor goat down that morning, but at least we got to eat it and not the lion.

Anyway, I’m sure lion tastes just fine if you cook it right.  I know folks that hunt quite a bit and eat every darn thing they shoot, and they have commented that cats taste fine.  

6:08 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
60 reviewer rep
115 forum posts

I ate lynx once. We had some snares set around the kennel for some wolves that had taken to attacking the huskies. Two or three would gnash right onto a dog and yank til the chain snapped. Then drag it off a hundred yards and eat it. After a couple incidents we set some snares and unfortunately a lynx found one. My uncle had too much respect for it to let it go to waste so my aunt made a stew of it. Good enough for seconds. A couple of those wolves ended up in them as well and the pack moved on.

6:29 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

No I have never eaten Mountain Lion I am allergic to cats. 

6:56 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,202 forum posts

A student of mine killed one once. He gave us a few steaks. 

It reminded me of a mix of pork (texture) and mutton (that nasty aromatic thing sheep have).  I finished the steak but I don't know if I could have eaten much more.  I have eaten porcupine (best wild game ever), goat (not so good) and raccoon (tough and oily) but cougar was my least favorite. 

7:18 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Here's are a mountain lion recipe: mountain lion Back Strap with Apples and Blueberry Jam for those of you who cannot resist and or have a frezer full of puma. I'd be up for some couger jerky myself. Never meet a jurky I didn't like. I used to know guy's that would go black bear hunting every season to fill there freezer full. Some hunters believe if it has legs and you can kill it you can eat it as well. Not sure I'd eat a skunk, but you never know........ Found some coyote recipies as well for those who want to take a walk on the wild side...............

http://www.muzzy.com/recipes/mountain-lion-back-strap-with-apples-and-blueberry-jam

8:29 p.m. on April 12, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

Cougar used to be a staple on the annual game meat banquets held by the local "Rod and Gun Club" where I grew up, Hunting is an old, honourable and traditional activity in Canada,especially here in BC and in my youth, so-called "trophy hunters"were largely targets of derision, we ate it or we did not kill it and I still abide by that attitude.

I have never eaten Cougar and have never seen on alive in the bush, but, BC has the largest population of these fascinating cats and one of our pet Siamese purrboxes was killed and eaten by one in a suburb of Vancouver.

I have eaten Black Bear and it can be surprisingly fine meat, but, while I love to hunt and prefer Elk, Moose and Whitetail Deer in that order as food, I am a total shmoo where bears are concerned and cannot bring myself to shoot one.

I love bears, always have and enjoy watching them, Black Bears have approached me calmy several times in the bush, even when I had one of my .338s in my hands...and, I think that they just "know"I would only kill one if I were desperately hungry.

Cougars, are so neat that I also doubt that I could shoot one and I have passed on several Wolves to the angry derision of several hunting guides I know. I just seem to be a softie where animals are concerned as my spoiled Rottweilers will attest, from their present position recumbent on our bed......worse than little kids at Christmas!

3:15 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I ate mountain once but I was in jumior high (a long time ago) so I don't remember what it tasted like, just that it was tough and chewy. Our nieghbor was friends with a state hunter who had been called to remove one from a local ranch. My Dad and I watched them skin and butcher the cat then were invited to stay for a BBQ. BBQing is not the best way to cook most wild game.

9:01 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

only life or death

10:00 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

apeman said:

..Never met a jurky I didn't like...

I imagine tree sloth jerky would change all that.  Their slow movement and absence of any real defense attests to their lack of natural predators.  If they taste half as bad as they look they would still be totally inedible.

Ed

10:08 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

whomeworry said:

I imagine tree sloth jerky would change all that.  Their slow movement and absence of any real defense attests to their lack of natural predators.  If they taste half as bad as they look they would still be totally inedible.

Ed

Then again maybe its a reverse psychology thing and they are the best tasting thing on the planet...

May we all be lil piggies like Andy regardless of what mystery meat is on our plate:

5:48 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

..May we all be lil piggies like Andy regardless of what mystery meat is on our plate...

Mom needs to teach better table etiquete - note she says not a peep when Andy neglects to execute proper pinky extention.  One should never grasp any dinnerware or utensil using all five digits.

Ed

9:21 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

whomeworry said:

apeman said:

..Never met a jurky I didn't like...

Ed

Lucky that jurky is usually obtaind from the inside of the animal rather than the outside.  It all looks the same to me by the time it's jurky. ;-}>

5:41 p.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

someone i know goes to idaho(yes,i'm a whore)and shoots 200lb.MT.lion to get 70lb.meat,i was recently invied on backpacking/hunting trip to do same(they've been doing it for years)i know from experience mt. lion tastes like shiite.but i haven't told them i don't like it,what amazes me is they act like they like the taste of mt.lion!maybe they don't like steamers but i do.they give me mt. lion pot roast,mt. lion jerky,i throw it down the disposal and let the stainlees steel teeth chew it.by the time you count the costs of getting 70lbs. of meat(by the way finding a butcher that knows mt.lion aint cheap)you could probably eat caviar.

11:11 a.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I have never tried any cat meat, but im a big reader of westerns and according to everything I have read mountain lion was the favorite meat of many of the first mountain men. Everything from louis lamour pulp westerns to fact based documentaries say that was the meat of choice followed by beaver tail them buffalo ribs and tongue. Ive enjoyed buffalo ribs but couldnt do the tongue. Im a beef eater but I get my beef from a local farmer. You have to have a big basement to get any kind of price as u need to buy the whole cow. I have four freezers and three fridges. Im in the food industry so they arent all for my family. Anyway big cats are making a comeback in new england. I have seen tracks and a couple of kills, my mother saw a very large cat cross the road in the fog one nite. In fact she almost hit it(the fog played a part in getting so close to it im sure) with her car. I would never be able to kill such a beautiful creature unless it was him or me.

Mark

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply