Camp oven.

5:35 p.m. on April 28, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I`d like to try making an oven on one of my camping trips shortly. Has anybody tried this or have any advice for me which might be helpfull?

7:44 p.m. on April 28, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Google "camping oven" and there are many websites with info on making or buying one, including videos on YouTube. I'd start there and see what's available. I've seen ones made from a cardboard box lined with tin foil up to fancy ones made from sheet metal.

10:09 p.m. on April 28, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
912 forum posts

Google "homemade camping oven" or "homemade backpacking camping oven" otherwise you will have to wade through the commercial ovens and car camping ovens.

here's a very simple one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMx2a0K3QQk

6:07 a.m. on April 29, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks for the help. I have found some interesting links on YouTube. They will keep me experimenting for a while to come.

11:36 a.m. on April 30, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

post another thread once you field test one

7:50 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

There is a sight, I cant remember the exact name right now. My computer died and I lost the info but I know it was called wings info or wings something. It has blueprints for many stoves and some ovens as well. The links at the bottom have more of the ovens. Sorry I cant get the exact name. Im gonna search a little, maybe I can find it.

7:51 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

My buddy says its wings the homemade stove archive.

10:10 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
912 forum posts

This is the link but it doesn't appear to be up at the moment. http://wings.interfree.it/ This is an archive of it.  http://web.archive.org/web/20100406063259/http://wings.interfree.it/

Here's a list of other DIY stove sites. http://zenstoves.net/LinksGeneral-DIY.htm  Zen stoves is a great site too.  

11:44 a.m. on May 7, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Has anyone looked at the Bemco backpacker oven.

http://www.backpackeroven.com/

I bought one last year but have yet to use it in the field. I have used it in the house on the stove and really like it for summer baking as it keeps the heat down in my house. I have a gas stove and don't know how it would work on electric . They come in a couple different sizes and fold up flat and has a thermometer so you can monitor your heat. It is really nice. However it is a little more expensive then the foil pan oven I read about here.

12:03 p.m. on May 7, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

OLD LADY, welcome to Trailspace. I have gone ahead and included the link in your post so others can take a look at the product that you reference. 

Once again welcome to Trailspace. 

Happy hiking-Rick

12:30 p.m. on May 7, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

Old lady I looked into getting one and talked to the owner. I have a jetboil canister stoove and canister stoves can't be used. I also use alchy stove but the one I have has jets. They recommend the triage to regulate the flame.But it looks like a good product.I watched the video's as well..

8:59 p.m. on May 7, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
912 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace Old Lady!  The greatest outdoor forums on the internet.

I took a look at the web page for the Bemco oven.  Nice oven.  Have you ever tried it on a campfire?

2:17 p.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

No I never used the oven on a campfire. Only on the stove in the house.I don't like the black that gets all over things from being on a wood fire. Charcoal would be an option but then you would have to add that to the supplys you carry.

I did buy an MSR Windpro stove to use with it but haven't used it yet. It has the hose that extends from the stove so the fuel can sit outside the oven.

9:49 p.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

banana leaves under coals ?

5:28 p.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

The Bemco Backpacker Oven is great.... however if you have more than two people I find the Outback Oven Plus 10 is a better choice. 

Bacon Mushroom 3-Cheese Pizza anyone? 

image.jpg

10:46 p.m. on July 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,082 forum posts

I've used the outback oven forever and a day and it works well.  I've also used a backpacker with ok success - not as good as the outback oven, but a lot smaller and lighter.

12:46 p.m. on September 27, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

am experimenting with some aluminum flashing and bull clips {binder clips}

trying to compromise between solar, campfire reflector, small wood burning and maybe canister oven!

4 pieces semi rolled leave the roll in it 8" x 14".

fold 1/2 " on each long side a little more than 90 degrees... fold 1/2 on short sides over completely to the inside of the curvature burnish with a wooden handle but don`t crease too tightly...

now stack all pieces and burnish to uniformity...this will end up making either a tube, or mailbox, or open fire reflector / solar reflector...

adding a turkey bag and the grate which we will make from stainless bicycle spokes and expanded metal screen {hardware cloth, or screen door steel panel}

taking the expanded metal and cutting it 8"x? a little more than half spoke length.  we fold the mesh 90 degrees opposite directions at each short side  and again midway so we can stitch the spokes through the mesh.... effectively tying the spokes parallel into grate form and leaving tips loose like a rake!{ another possible use!}

4:14 p.m. on September 27, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

how about some pictures?

4:28 p.m. on October 2, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,214 forum posts

I am a big fan of Dutch ovens for boat, truck, and pack string trips.  For backpacking, I have used two pie plates with success.  An old-time relfector oven is the traditional solution.

4:28 p.m. on October 2, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,214 forum posts

I am a big fan of Dutch ovens for boat, truck, and pack string trips.  For backpacking, I have used two pie plates with success.  An old-time relfector oven is the traditional solution.

5:20 p.m. on October 14, 2012 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Not sure about you guys but every time I run accross this post I feel the urge to follow through on the OP's challenge and build a camp oven for myself... anybody else get the same notion?

10:31 a.m. on October 15, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

sorry guys been away for awhile...

will follow up with pictures and possible review / test burns.....today....

been thinking and experimenting with carried goods{already in pack} ie: silicone mug, titanium pots,{works great for a single muffin!}

and then the others like aluminum pie plates,{ not on canister stove!!!!} burnt right thru..... looking at diffuser grating and silicone to rectify?

the real goal is to find a way to utilize the gear that i actually carry... eventually to carry less and enjoy more!!!!{multi FUNction!!}

EVOLUTION IN PROGRESS?

love my muffins and coffee in the morning!

op`s challenge??

8:02 p.m. on October 15, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

image.jpg

given our next excuse I`m GONE!
image.jpg

very hot... at opening...

image.jpg

first burn... 6th wall not necessary? but need access to valve outside? hot very quickly!
image.jpg

this needs work... will evolve into better connection?

all critiques welcome.... please....

thin-wall aluminum still has roll on purpose....
image.jpg

missed my marks... wall bends on back wall...

also  how to protect radii bends in pack...flat walls bulked together and protect pack with roll being opposite

image.jpg
yeah I cheated! briquettes so-so... but you get the idea?

image.jpg
raw materials on hand... quick idea...

7:57 p.m. on October 18, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

Canister stoves used this way have a knack for exploding!

8:00 p.m. on October 18, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

better use a whisperlite...something with the fuel canister outside the oven!

1:59 p.m. on October 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

If you must use a cannister stove like the one in your pic, you should bury the cannister. Dirst it will keep the fuel somewhat cooler and if/when it explodes, the blast energy ( and shrapnel) will mostly go up, not out. If you put in a bottom you could place it on four rocks over a bed of coals.

7:24 p.m. on October 19, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

first burn... attempt...

the canister stove was a secondary thought,

and yes it does get very hot! very quickly!, I had second thoughts almost as soon as I lit it!

but the primary idea was to direct campfire radiation, and a making a packable fire grate of sorts... how else could we reuse the materials?

then to justify the weight, heavier than foil and cardboard but... reusable, and multi function

baking is my excuse to put more STUFF in my bag!!

first stage of R&D ! will it evolve?

is it an idea that you might carry or use?

thinking of removing lower half of back wall or at least making it a two piece... will need it for fire reflection / convection....

also maybe adding a front top door?

maybe loosing the bottom panels altogether using adjustable wire legs?

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply