platypus or 1litre nalgene bottle

6:03 a.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
346 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

ok so this question is nagging at me .which one of the two would you use and why ,would it be the 1 litre nalgene bottle or the platypus soft bottle (or any platypus product!)

8:24 a.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

The nalgene bottle.  It is what I have used for the past forty five years, is cheaper, easier to clean, is a simpler design thus less to go wrong, and besides I never got accustomed to the sippy straw thing.

Ed

9:39 a.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I have stainless steel, nalgenes, and platypus bottles as well as a camelbak reservoir. What I take on a given trip varies, but most often I will have the filled hydration reservoir in the pack, then carry an empty MSR collapsible bucket and  2 liter platypus for when i need more water and at camp. The bucket and Platy combined weigh less than a nalgene, but either way it's only a couple ounces.  I also carry a titanium mug for tea, cider, or coffee at camp. 

10:52 a.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,344 reviewer rep
1,232 forum posts

I'm with Ed, Nalgene is easy to clean and picks up less flavors from drink powders. 

If I used platypus I'd use it in camp like Gonz is suggesting.

11:21 a.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have actually switched off to using a Waterbox square bottles. I have had to chase "rolling Nalgenes" way too many times. 

The square bottles don't roll very well. :)

Plus if ya lose the cap Waterbox will replace it for free.

http://www.waterboxco.com/?page_id=28

1:13 p.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Nalgene, original style soft bottle with sport bottle cap with cover.

robust

malleable

quick and easy to drink and fill

SteriPen filter fits it

stores steri pen until needed

lightish

3:14 p.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

I use Nalgene bottles mostly in winter and fall. Summer a platy or evernew bag which is like a platy or Used Gatorade bottles because they weigh less than nalgene bottles.

4:40 p.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
346 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

thanks i have bought the nalgene atb 1litre bottle & the nalgene 650 bottle they look great 85 grams heavier than the platypus 

7:46 p.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,139 forum posts

I use a 3 liter Camelbak, so if I had the choice I would go with the Platypus. I like the fact that as it empties my Camelbak takes up less space. And I rarely use backpacking store bottles (nalgene,etc) anymore, I just recycle the bottles the water comes in at the grocery store many times over.

9:45 p.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

the only thing I use my platy bags for is Liquor....

11:09 a.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Platypus bladder, sharp/hard object in pack, hole, bummer, I wet my pants

1:15 p.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
346 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

good point!

4:53 p.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

nalgene. more puncture resistant. Sure it doesn't fold up when not it use, but it makes a great dry-storage/sealed cannister should you need it. I also find it easier to use for backcountry washing of clothes than a Platypus.

I do use a platypus gravity feed 4 liter filter reservoir for storing water in backcountry camp with larger groups...

5:19 p.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Yep.  I usually take a CamelBak and mostly use my Nalgene as dry / protective storage under I need to feel my CamelBak once again.

7:03 p.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,139 forum posts

I like to use my Camelbak as a pillow blown up when empty or even when its got water in it. Also makes a good fire exstingisher.

7:59 p.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
117 forum posts

The Nalgene liter bottle fits my First Need purifier perfectly as receiver bottle without having to purchase the adapters.

8:13 p.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I use my nalgene with my H2joe for coffee, and my steripen. I do not like the sippy straw thing either. Its eaiser to clean and in my mind more flexible. Carrying a platipus or camelbak requires more work for me, as none of my packs have the required pocket so I would need to strap somehow onto the pack. I like to keep things simple and Nalgene does that for me.

9:00 p.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

I use the use the camel back in my pack . I can fill it through the mouth piece with my hiker pro. I do carry nalgene or vargo titanium bottle for dry storage untill needed for water. i usually have scouts with me . every thing has to be bullet proof .One thing you can boil water in metal bottles in a bind.  

10:01 p.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
284 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I use 2 Klean Kanteen 40 oz in my normal mode, and on longer hikes with no water in the area I add 2 platypus plusbottles for extra water, I like it also for the weight 1.5 oz, it works with the sawyer filters if needed.  I hang the playpus with carbiners on my pack, the only thing I don't like is to dry it out.  I use a fish aquarium pump to dry the bottles.  The Klean Kanteen stainless seems to keep the water cooler and is easy to clean, the other thing is the water doesn't have any plastic taste and I don't worry if I put other liquids in the klean, no after taste.

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply